Friday, July 17, 2009

TUTORIAL ON CUTTLEBUG BORDER EMBOSSING



Have you ever wanted to create a one layer card that is embossed with a Cuttlebug embossing folder but keep the middle "un-embossed" (is that a word?) so you could stamp a design? I am going to show you how I accomplish embossing around a frame with a Cuttlebug embossing folder. The completed card is above. The butterfly is part of Gina K's "Take Flight". It was colored with Copic Markers. The card stock used is SU Perfect Plum and the corners are cut with a Cuttlebug corner die.

To make this card, I used my "Big Shot" machine rather than the Cuttlebug, because it is a little wider but I used the Cuttlebug plates.

To create the frame, I used a rectangle Nestability. Here is the sandwich I used to accomplish the Nestability embossed frame. From the bottom up: Cuttlebug "A" Plate; "B" Plate; Tan Nestabilities embossing Mat; card stock with die cutting edge down; cardboard shim; "B" Plate. I'm sorry, I didn't remember to take a picture of the "sandwich".



I wanted to use the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder. I lined up the folder around the frame as shown. Notice I lined up the end of the embossing folder (the edge of the row of Swiss Dots - not the very end of the folder) even with the edge of the embossed frame. By doing this, I am able to go completely around the frame without overlapping any of the embossed dots.




In the picture below, you can see what portion of the frame was embossed with the Cuttlebug embossing folder.




Continue going around the frame embossing the same way.



If you look closely, you will see that a few of the embossed dots were "smashed" so to fix this, I used a dry embossing tool called a "Stylus" to gently push out the "smashed" dots. I lay the cardstock on a rubber mat to do this. Be sure not to push very hard or you will create a hole -- which you don't want.





Below you will see the frame completely embossed all the way around and my image stamped in the middle of the frame.







There are probably other ways of creating a frame like this, so you could use different shaped Nesties, but this is the way I currently do it with either square or rectangle Nesties. Hope this is helpful. Do you have a different way to create a frame like this? I would love for you to leave a comment below.

Thanks for visiting my blog.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This card is absolutely gorgeous--just like all of your flower cards. I love the shading and colors in this butterfly...almost looks like watercolor. Thanks for showing your technique for the one-layer frame. It is simply elegant!!

Hugs, Carol F.

A Consuming Passion said...

Mmmm this looks fabulous Selma - now I see how it's done! looks like I might need another piece of equipment (The bigshot)!!

Dianna said...

Selma,

Thanks for the instructions on how you achieved the rectangle in the card w/o the cuttlebug embossing.

The card is beautiful, as always, and I love the colors you used for the butterfly and the shading that you did. The corner trim really adds a nice touch.

Dianna

Stamping in Asia said...

Selma,

This is just lovely!! I love how you colored the butterfly and the technique in making the embossing!! You are such a genius!!

Fondly,
Anne (HK)

Cherie said...

Stunning card! The butterfly is absolutely beautiful! Thanks so very much for sharing this great tutorial! I'm off to try it!

Vicki Dutcher said...

This turned out very nice! I need to figure out how to do this on the cuttlebug - I AM NOT BUYING ANOTHER PIECE OF EQUIPMENT...really (!) I'm not! LOL. Beautiful card! Vicki

Marsha said...

This is brilliant ! Thank you so much for sharing this technique.
Your card is beautiful.

Cat Tidwell said...

Awesome Selma! I love the embossing of the frame part with this, really makes it pop more! I didnt do that with my way, wish I had of!

The Wired Angel said...

Hi Selma.. I just found your blog and had to 'follow' you.. your work is amazing. Thanks for the great tutorial.. I have to try it out very soon.

Joan Fricker said...

Wow is right! This is stunning and thanks so much for your tutorial. It truly is a beautiful card and you do the embossing so well! Great job!

Joan

inkedx2 said...

Selma ~ Love this card. I am going to work on casing it as I just have to give it a try!

Robbie

inkedx2 said...

Selma ~ Love this card. I am going to work on casing it as I just have to give it a try!

Robbie

Darla said...

This is stunning!! Love your work, great blog!!
Thought I'd share... another way to get an "un"embossed area is to cut a piece of thin cardboard (like cereal box thickness) with your nestie (or whatever other shape you want) place it in your cuttlebug folder over the area you want left open for stamping and then run through the cuttlebug.. it's not a crisp clean edge like yours but definately leaves the basic shape unembossed and I sort of like how it feathers out.. you get a "less" embossed area all around your shape and then full embossing around that.. you'll have to try it to see what I mean.
:)

AKiteFlier said...

FANTASTIC - don't know how I missed this but I HAVE to try it! It's fabulous - selma you are SUCH a great teacher and a fabulous inspiration - daily - I run to check your blog for what you've done now :-)

have a great time with your family. Sorry you won't get to Yellowstone.

Anonymous said...

I'm just starting out and love how you made the frame and left it open in the middle! I just bought a Big Kick today. What equipment would I need if I wanted to put the same type of border around a 4x6 photo using 5x7 paper? Any ideas to help me out? I absolutely love your work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails