Saturday, September 17, 2011

Little Box plus a mini tutorial


This is such a cute little box for a small gift.  I plan to fill it with some good chocolates to be included with a birthday gift.  

This is a die cut box.  It is one I received from Joan's Gardens called "Rectangle Box" by Sizzix.  When you die cut it, it cuts a bottom and a separate lid.  Below is a picture of the back of the box to show you how the two pieces are connected. 

 After scoring and taping the bottom, you attach the lid with brads.  I love this look.

 I used a piece of "My Mind's Eye" 12x12", double sided design paper.  It was cut in half to fit right on top of the die.  For the front closure I used an embellishment I received from Joan's Gardens, probably last year.  It says exactly what I wanted it to say.  This person is super happy to receive good chocolate so "Joy" is perfect.


For the top I created a rose with the new Spellbinders "Spiral Blossom One" die.  I thought I would show you a picture of the die cut flower and then explain how I shaped it to make it easier to roll into the spiraled rose.

When you die cut the "Spiral Blossom One" this is what it looks like.  It is perfectly flat and you need to roll it starting from the outside edge, which will become the center of the rose.

You know how I like to make my flowers as realistic as possible, so I use the tools from the Flower Tool Kit, you can get from Joan's Gardens, to condition this strip. I sure do get a lot of use from this Tool Kit! I used the large white tool to "cup" each of the petals, going all the way around the spiral.


By conditioning the card stock with this tool, you can see how it helped to "cup" the petals and it has already started the spiraling process without me trying roll it to get  the flat piece started in the spiral. This process made it very easy to roll it into the flower shape.


But before I actually started rolling the spiral, I turned the spiral over and used the largest stylus tool in the Flower Tool Kit to shape the petals back on the tips.  You just go around in small circles on the very edge of each petal.


The rose was placed on top of Marianne (LR0157) Decorative Elegance die cut and a few Martha Stewart punched branches tucked in around the rose.



Since I used double sided paper, I used the solid portion for the outside bottom of the box and the patterned side for the lid.  This is reversed on the inside which gives it a nice completed look.

You can order the Sizzix Box Die and the Spellbinder Spiral Blossom One die from Joan's Gardens.  This little box really was easy to put together and I think you will love working with it.  I hope you enjoy the mini tutorial on how I created the rose.
The weather has really cooled down here in Washington but I guess it is about time for Autumn to arrive.  Have a wonderful weekend.


316046

14 comments:

Unknown said...

EEKKK Selma! This is just too Cotton Pickin Cute. You come up with the cutest designs. I wish you lived closer so I could come over and play and learn from the master. I'd bring food. hee-hee.

Hugs...Tracy :)

Melissa said...

Love, love, love it Selma! I was just looking at that flower die today when I was at work. I resisted....for now :)

Sheila - Ginger said...

OH Selma this is just so very, very beautiful.....oh and I have that die so thank you for the mini tutorial on how to use it.

Love Sheila xx

Glenda said...

Your box is adorable, as is your Rose! I bow to the master of flowrs!

The Other Patti Sue said...

This is just the cutest little box... my birthday is in November LOL! Beautiful rose too!

Winnie and Patty said...

Selma--this is so pretty! I love blue & pink together. Thank you very much for the tutorial. I've always wondered how the spiral flowers were made. Now I may just have to get both of the dies!!!! You're certainly an "enabler" LOL!!!! Have a great rest of the weekend. Patty

Mary G. said...

Oh, Selma, this is STUNNING!!! Such soft colors and that rose...SO lifelike!!! I think I NEED that flower die!!!!

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Selma- I love boxes and this one is a beauty!

Carole said...

Selma, I absolutely LOVE visiting. You are truly blessed with creativity my friend and I'm always excited to see what tutorial your are sharing next. Thanks so much for all that you are and all that you do.

Also I want to say thank you to both you and Joan for selecting my card in the latest challenge, truly made my day!

Brenda said...

Selma this is so pretty and elegant!! I love the soft pink and blue colors and of course your gorgeous flower on top.

craftieodmae said...

absolutley gorgeous!!!!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Gorgeous, Selma! I must get one of those spiral floral dies!

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, love your box and your flower is totally terrific. Great tutorial too!

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Darlene said...

HOLY MOLY ... this is AWESOME!!! I LOVE this box and that flower is 'to die for'!!
You are truly the QUEEN OF FLOWERS and you prove that over & over again with each posting! Thanks for ALWAYS inspiring me to 'give it a try' ... Fabulous!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails