Friday, September 9, 2011

Fall Leaves


First I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to leave a comment on yesterday's post letting us know what embossing folder is on the top of your Wish List.  In case you missed that post, you will be a in a drawing to win a new embossing folder if you leave a comment on yesterday's post.  You will also want to go over to Joan's Gardens to read about another give away and also info about the Challenge. You have until next Thursday to do this.

Today I was just playing around with the Distress Stains Daubers that Joan sent me.  I wanted to create a Fall card with the new Cheery Lynn Dimensional Leaves (D134, D135, D136 and D137).  I watched a Cheery Lynn video talking about the leaves and that is where I got my inspiration.  In the video, Mike used ink pads to add colors to a piece of card stock but I love working with the Distress Stain Daubers and thought I would show you how I colored my leaves.  This is my first time doing this and the colors are not blended as well as they could be, but I wanted to show you the technique in the pictures below. 


 I started off with a piece of yellow card stock and used a yellow and green ink dauber first.  You need to push down on the end of the sponge daubers to get them started (you also should shake them well before starting to use them).  I just scribbled the ink across the card stock as shown above.

 I then added another fall color - red - scribbling it over some of the yellow and green inks.

 Next I added some brown ink then kind of went over it again with the red.
  The dark splotches are picked up from the paper fibers.

 You need to make sure the card stock is dry before going on to this step.  I used my heat gun to hurry up the drying process.  As the ink dried, it appeared darker, but I like it.  I laid out some of the different leaves I wanted to use.  I even placed one of the acorns from this set on there.  You need to use "regular" scotch tape to secure them to the card stock because you don't want them moving around.  I just use long pieces over them.

 First I embossed the leaves onto the card stock using the rubber mat.  I hope you can see the very detailed embossed design in the leaves.  This is the back and it will show up better after I cut them out and turn them over.


Next you turn it over and use the "Cuttlehug" and die cut them - the  Cuttlehug is not necessary but I love using it to insure a better cut. They usually cut very easily and I didn't have to run them through the second time.  I love the pretty embossing on each one.  Below is a close up of some of the leaves.

Can you see the embossing in the leaves?  I love how they turned out.


 Joan loves to use Tim Holtz Grungeboard and keep saying I am going to try it.  Well this was the day.  I used letters from his "Mixed Minis" which has both upper and lower case letters plus it has numbers.  They are so easy to color - you can just use the Distress Ink Sponge Daubers.  You can add one color or several.  I used yellow and orange.

This is what the package looks like with all the letters.

The design paper I used is from the BoBunny "Forever Fall Collection" and the Circle used in the middle is one of the new Spellbinder "Picot Edge Circles".  I used a circle Nestie to die cut a ivory circle for the middle and embossed it with the Cheery Lynn Leaves embossing plate (E160).  Can you see the small embossed leaves?  It was sponged with Tea Dye Distressed Ink.  A bow was created using seam binding.  It was colored with yellow and orange Distress Inks.  I lost the packaging, but I think the rust flower in the middle of the bow is either from Tim Holtz or Websters Pages.  A few pearls were added to complete the card.

As you know all the products I use can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.


312006

12 comments:

CraftinGranny said...

Your leaves are wonderful Selma. First I've heard of DI Daubers so guess I'd better check them out... What an enabler you are but I still love ya......LOL Beautiful card! "Hugs" Carol

Crystal said...

Very pretty card. I love the leaves, they look so natural. Thanks for sharing!

Kerrie said...

Hi Selma, lovely fall card, and thanks for the great step by step tutorial... will definitely try and give this ago..

craftieodmae said...

those leaves look as if you went out on a Fall day and picked them up form your yard, so real, this is fantastic!!!!

Sheila - Ginger said...

Such a wonderful fall card Selma and those leaves look so life-like. The colours are gorgeous too.

Love Sheila xx

Glenda said...

Just lovely!

Sharon said...

I just bought a couple of the stains and wasn't sure how to use them. Thanks for showing how. Love the look.

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

I love Fall cards and colors and this is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

thank you Selma for these instructions, your card is just marvelous.
Hugs Trish.

Anonymous said...

I think your talent is unbeatable – you do gorgeous work – just love it.

The Other Patti Sue said...

So pretty Selma... I love when you share how you create things!

HappyCrafter said...

This is lovely, and thank you for the exra pics showing how you got the colour in the leaves!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails