Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Italian Tile Background Challenge






Before I get started talking about this card, I want to thank all friends who sent me such beautiful cards for everything I was celebrating last week.  I cherish every one of them.  Handmade cards are always so special. 

Gina is celebrating her favorite StampTV episode of 2009- Inking a Cuttlebug Folder

In her Inspiration Challenge this week, she tells us that everytime she does this technique, it reminds her of rich Italian Tile.  She has posted a picture of a gorgeous fireplace and asks us to create our own Italian Tile using the picture of the fireplace for inspiration.

This is also one of my favorite  techniques so wanted to create a card for her challenge.  The stamp  I used is from Gina's "Owl Always Love You" stamp set.  My background color is Soft Suede.  I used a Memento Dew Drop Desert Sand ink pad to ink up the inside of my Finial Press embossing folder.  A piece of GKD pure luxury ivory heavy base weight cs was used for the embossing. This card stock is thick and really gives you a beautiful impression after being embosssed.  I love how this turned out.

I first stamped the owl image then did the double Cuttlebug embossing technique.  In order to keep the ink off the inside oval, you need to first cut a masking piece (I cut the same size Nestie oval out with a piece of the Eclipse Masking Tape) and place it over the design area.  The image was colored with colored pencils and OMS.  Some very small black pearls were added on the eyes.  I love the fancy Nestability tags.  I stamped the greeting then cut it out and embossed before taking it out of the die. Some self adhesive brads I purchased from Gina K Designs were added to complete my card.

This challenge ends tonight but if you are interested in seeing more about this challenge just click here.


13 comments:

The Other Patti Sue said...

Looks like Italian tile to me! Beautiful job!

craftieodmae said...

This is so awesome!!I have never tried this but thinking I'm going to!

Winnie and Patty said...

Selma--this is a great card & a gret technique. It does look like Italian tile! Your coloring is wonderful. TFS!

Brenda said...

Very nice card Selma. I love you coloring of the owls, which reminds me I need to get my owls out and show them some love. Thank you for the inspiration.

A Consuming Passion said...

Love those little owls Selma and your embossed background is super smart! Must give this a try!

Betty Benton said...

Beautiful card -- I love that folder!

Joan Fricker said...

Beautiful job Selma. Your coloring is wonderful and you sure captured the Italian Tile design. Great job!

Joan

Karen W said...

This is so pretty, I love the inked folders also.

Nana Griffin said...

This is so wonderful! I will certainly have to give it a try. Do you mean that you put a same size cut nestie over the image and ran it through to protect?

Selma said...

Naneruth I cut out the same size oval using Eclipse removable tape and place it over the design to keep the ink off.

Carol said...

Oh, so pretty, Selma! Lovin' that EF that you used and it looks so nice with the color you embossed with.

Cherie said...

Selma, Your card is totally stunning! I'm gonna go try it! TFS!

Cherie

Nina said...

oh, this is sooo lovely, love that technique!! the whole card is just wonderful!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails