Monday, October 30, 2023

Using Ranger Mica Stain for Autumn Leaves


Good Morning,

I have debated on doing this post.  Before Susan did her FaceBook  Live on Susan's Garden Club 2, (Tri Fold Card & Another Autumn Leaf Technique),  I used her Autumn Foliage die set and colored the leaves with Ranger Mica Stains.  I guess great minds think alike - LOL.   Our techniques use the same products but since our techniques are different, I decided to go a head and post my tutorial.


This is card created using Maple Leaves


These are the colors of Mica Stain I used to color the maple leaves.  Once you start coloring the leaves, you find you want to experiment with some of the other colors too.


Susan used glossy photo paper in her video and I used watercolor paper.  Instead of coloring the paper first then die cutting, I die cut the leaves then colored them.  I found, since these stains have mica in them, they create a glossy finish on any paper, which eliminates having to brush on clear gloss glaze after they are shaped. 
 

I placed the die cut leaves on a non-stick sheet inside a Splat Box.  You can put them in any box to keep the spray from going all over other things on your workspace.  Having them on the non-stick sheet helps to reuse the extra spray.  Once I have sprayed all the colors on the leaves, I turned them over on the sheet and used a wet baby wipe to pick up the extra spray and rub it on the back of the leaves so both front and back are colored.  I used tweezers from Susan's Flower Tool Kit to turn over leaves.  You may want to use plastic gloves to keep your fingers clean.  Dab off any excess spray on front/back, with a baby wipe or paper towel, and place on clean non-stick mat to dry.  Once dry you can shape.  I like to use a mechanical pencil to lightly draw on veins then use tweezers to shape.  

If you haven't used Mica Spray yet to color autumn leaves, I suggest you watch Susan's video too and you can decide which technique you want to try.  


I wanted to include this picture to show how shiny the mica spray is using regular card stock.



I hope I have inspired you to create some beautiful autumn leaves.  Be sure to check out all the new dies in Susan's new Birds & Bees Garden Release.  I appreciate your support by using the links I have provided below for ordering the products you need.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails