Thursday, November 14, 2013

Snowy Tree Tutorial

I am still working on getting all my Christmas cards designed.  I love snowmen, so today I used a very cute snowman by My Favorite Things.  Both the Snowman and sentiment come on this stamp set.   I used the Memory Box "Frosted Christmas Tree" and have a tutorial below on how I created the dimensional snow.  

For the background I used the Sizzix, "Dots" embossing folder.  The white piece of card stock 5.5" square.  I started by stamping the My Favorite Things "Pure Innocensce-Trim the Branches Snowman" using VersaFine Black ink. The Sizzix embossing folder is only 4.5" wide so I had to embossing one side then line it up on the other side and run through a second time.  I embossed it so the "heavier" flakes were on top.  If you look at the card, you can see there are not as many dots on the bottom portion.  The snowman was colored using Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen big brush markers.  I sponged on some like blue chalk around the outside of the snowman.  The sentiment was stamped on a piece of white card stock and the ends punched with the corner of a square punch.  A slightly larger piece of red card stock was cut and punched the same way and layered under the sentiment. 

I added the Memory Box "Snowflake Corner" to the upper left corner.  A large and small Martha Stewart snowflake punch was used to add silver glitter snowflakes.  I used a variety of color of Stickles on the snowman to give him some sparkle.

Snowy Tree Tutorial


 I used the Memory Box "Frosted Christmas Tree.  It was die cut using green card stock.

Place the die, face down, with the die cut next to the Craft Mat.  Spread Modeling Paste over the entire die, being sure to get the paste touching the card stock.

 Cover the entire surface as shown here.

 Next, using the tool you spread the paste with,  tap down in the paste to create "ripples".  This will give your snow some texture.

 Carefully pull the die off the die cut tree. This is how the "snow" will look.  It is very easy to smear the paste, so be very careful about touching it.

 With your tree on a clean surface, pour over Rangers Distress Stickles dry glitter, while the paste is "wet".  The glitter will stick and give the snow some sparkle.  Pick the tree up by the very top and shake off extra glitter.  After the paste was completely dry, I added some Diamond Stickles on some of the high points of the snow, for additional sparkle.

I hope you will give this technique a try; it really added a nice texture to the tree.

Here are the links to products used, available from Ellen Hutson, LLC

Sizzix, Dots Embossing Folder
My Favorite Things "Pure Innocence-Trim the Branches Snowman" stamp
VersaFine Black Ink
Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen big brush markers
Memory Box "Snowflake Corner"
Memory Box "Frosted Christmas Tree
Rangers Distress Stickles dry glitter, clear rock candy
Diamond Stickles 

1058302

11 comments:

Rita said...

Absolutely Stunning Selma. I love that tree. Hugs Rita xxx

Anonymous said...

Fantastic card Selma. Love your technique for creating such a realistic tree. I love your blog and all your gorgeous creations.

Elaine

April said...

What a cute card and beautiful tree! Thanks for sharing the technique!

Toni said...

So glad you shared this. I've got to try it!

Maryann Laursen said...

A really awesome and amazing card here, and such a lovely technique to make it really stand out. Perfect job as always Selma, and just perfection in any way, and sooo gorgeous result. I love it.

May said...

Stunning card Selma, Love the tree & snowman... fantastic tutorial...Hugs May x x x

craftieodmae said...

Gorgeous, you always do the most fantastic tutorials!!! TFS and have a great day! Hugs!!

Leanne ... said...

What an awsome tutorial. I love that snow on the tree. The card is fabulose.
Hugs.
.Leanne

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Selma your work in wonderful.

Patsy Erickson

Jack Alexa said...

hello, it was very amazing post.Large Pillow BoxesPackaging boxes are really necessary for your any kind of product. If you want to pack your products in stylish way then use these Large Pillow Boxes with customized designs, styles, colors, shapes, and stocks. We are also offering error-free designing and free shipping services all over the USA.

Jennifer Alex said...

Get premium Quality boxes on your door of custom eyelash boxes

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails