Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sweet William Tutorial


I think most of you enjoy when I show you how I create my flowers so today I am going to show you how I created the large white flower above the Marianne Design "Anji Corner" (LR0200).    The dies I used for the large white flower, is the Cheery Lynn "Sweet Williams" (D 137) dies.

I have been working on creating flowers with this die for several days and took a picture of all the supplies I used.  The paper used is the flower card stock Joan and I like to use for flowers because it is a perfect weight for shaping.  What I found out is that this card stock is thin enough to allow you to use two layers at a time so die cutting can go much quicker.  The other supplies used are a white terry cloth, an extra fine mist "Spritzer".  This one is made by Judi Kins.  The Cheery Lynn Sweet Williams dies, and tools from the Flower Tool Kit along with the black shaping mat.  If you like to create lovely shaped flowers, and don't have the Flower Tool Kit from Joan's Gardens, I highly recommend it. This tool kit has everything you need for shaping your flowers in one little kit.   I use these tools every day. I am also working on the Non-Stick Craft Sheet.


After die cutting a lot of Sweet William flowers, I misted each side to get them a little damp.  This helps to shape the petals easier.  I misted about 10 at a time, otherwise they might dry out before you start working on them.  Use the self-closing tweezers in the kit to "crinkle" each petal.  Place the tweezers right in the center and push the sides in toward the tweezers.  Kind of twist around the tweezers to get a good crease.  Each petal will look slightly different after creasing.  You can see the difference in the petals after creasing in the picture on the right.  This is a quick and easy way to get the dimension you want for a life like flower.  You can stack as many layers as you want, depending on the fullness you want to achieve.  Before stacking, be sure to put each layer on the shaping mat and press down in the center to "cup" it.  The more you press down, the more "cupped" it will become.  For the very center, you can add glue all around the inside (top) of the flower and press it together, holding until dry.  This will create your closed center.  Add glue to the center of your stacked flower and press down the closed center you just created.  I think this flower could look like a mum, a carnation or maybe a bachelor button, depending on the color of card stock you use.  It is so fun to create life like flowers with a few flat petals.  

Now for everything else I used to design this card.  I used the Marianne "Anji Corner" (LR0200) under the flower.  This is a 5.5" square card.  I placed the corner with the wide edge about an inch from the bottom of the card and ran it through the die cutting machine, then ran it through again to emboss it.  I had two pieces of card stock stacked to do this.    The reason was because I wanted to use an embossing folder to emboss the top portion of this card.  I cut off the very bottom of this piece right below the Anji  Corner and used  the Marianne (DS0909) embossing folder on that top portion.  I can use that cut off corner for something else later.  Since I die cut the two pieces together, now I can attach the embossed portion back in perfect position around the die cut "corner".  Where is was cut off does not show, because it is covered with the small flowers.  

Behind the large white flower, I die cut a Marianne (CR1201) doily, then die cut a Spellbinders (purple) Scalloped Circle to place in the center of the doily.  For a "frilly" look, I added the Memory Box "Quinn Flourish" (98267) over the purple circle.  The flower was glued in the center.  Along the bottom I created two shades of roses using the Cheery Lynn "Medium Rose" (B154).  The leaves under these roses were die cut using the smaller Marianne leaves (LR0156).  To add a little fullness, I added some small lavender flowers that were punched with the  Punch Bunch "Super Giant Mega Lilacs/Daphne" punch.  In the center of these little flowers I added lavender "Liquid Pearls" by Ranger. Two lavender Cheery Lynn "Mini Butterflies" (DL112) were added.  A few Kaiser Craft white pearls were added to complete the card. 

Do you enjoy me going through all these detailed instructions to help you learn how to create dimensional flowers?  I hate to bore you with very long blog posts, but if these instructions are helpful to you, I will continue doing these little tutorials. 

Tomorrow I will be back with a card designed with the new Heartfelt Creations Release.

416057  

45 comments:

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, this is gorgeous. I absolutely love it. I love your tutorials as I am sure everyone else does. They really help understand how to do the flowers. thanks for all your hard work.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Nan G said...

Love love the card! And the tutorials are wonderful and so helpful..please continue them.

Myrna said...

Selma
All your creations are gorgeous. I rarely comment but yes, please keep doing your tutorials. They are so helpful.
Myrna

Sharron Lynne said...

Please keep doing your tutorials, they are so helpful. Your flowers and your cards are awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love your card - it is very beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial.

grace creations said...

I too love the tutorials. the explanation plus the photos really help. As always the card is beautiful.

Marian said...

Please continue your tutorials. They are very helpful. Your cards are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your cards and tutorials with us.

CraftinGranny said...

A great tutorial Selma!! Beautiful and elegant card. Love those dies and your designs. "Hugs"

Bashful said...

Omg! Selma these are "Absolutely Gorgeous!" I am in total Awe! Thanks for Sharing with us! Spectacular Job!

Rene said...

Hi Selma, I think the tutorials are great and most helpful to me. Your cards are divine, I appreciate all the work you put into the tutorials.
Regards Rene from OZ xo

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous card Selma, those flowers are just beautiful..fabulous tutorial, so easy to understand..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Seafield Jo said...

Wow Selma, this is a stunning card, and a fab tutorial too. Thank you. Jo x

Charlene said...

Sorry that I haven't said thank you before for all your wonderful tips and techniques - you are an inspiration to the rest of us out here trying to make beautiful cards! Your time and efforts are much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your talent
with us by doing these tutorials.
They are so helpful. And your card
is, as always, gorgeous.
Greetje

Glenda said...

Don't stop the tutorials! Your not getting off that easy! It is always so helpful and I learn something from all of them. Your card is fabulous and of course I love your purple!

Sheila - Ginger said...

Oh my, oh my such a stunning card Selma an please keep the tutorials coming as they are so helpful and great to learn how you make your gorgeous flowers. keep up the good work.

Love Sheila xx

Marilyn M said...

Love your card. I agree...don't stop doing the tutorials. They are so helpful and easy to follow. Your cards are such an inspiration and THANK YOU for all your hard work.

Frann said...

Please continue to do the tutorials. They are most appreciated. You explain things very clearly and the photos are helpful. I look forward to seeing your latest creation every day. Your cards are beautiful!

Karen W said...

This is absolutely fabulous!!!! I love it and need to try to create something similar!!

Karen W said...

I love the tutorials, they are so helpful!!

craftieodmae said...

that is one gorgeous card, you need to just keep it and frame it, it's priceless!!!

Anonymous said...

Selma

Just a line to let you know how much I love your cards.They are such an inspiration.I always check your site to see what new ideas you have come up with. I greatly appreciate your tutorials; they are certainly not boring. It is wonderful of you to share your creativity and talent with us your followers.

Ruth Schock

Anonymous said...

YES, YES, YES, please continue with ALL of the "boring" details for your beautiful cards!!!!
Thank you,
jan

Anonymous said...

Selma – I LOVE the detailed instructions. If I like the project, I print out the instructions and keep in a binder in my craft room. Lori Cale

Anonymous said...

Selma, yeas they are very helpful and please continue them. I print them off for down the road when I need them. Thanks so much and
Hugs and God Bless,

Gretchen

Linda D said...

So pretty! Your tutorials are terrific. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! What a gorgeous card! No, I for one am not bored by instructions. Thanks for always sharing. You are a very good salesperson.

Jackie
Oregon

Vail said...

Selma, this card is absolutely gorgeous and I do enjoy you tutorials. Thank you for sharing your creativity with us.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I love the tutorials and your designs are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your ideas and techniques. I appreciate it so much and I love that I can print it out for future reference. Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi. Love your work. Love your blog. Keep giving directions for your work. I'd be lost without them. Had the pleasure of a "phone meeting" with Joan recently. She says you keep her busy with filling orders. I placed my first order with her just recently. Should arrive any day now. ......Sharon in PA

Anonymous said...

Your cards and flowers are absolutely fantastic. In answer to your question today, I love the tutorials and don't think they're long at all. I do however think today's flower looks exactly like a carnation. WOW - that is a beauty.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Selma, I really love to see your cards, thanks for the tutorial on making the flowers. Thanks Joan

Anonymous said...

Very helpful. I for one would love to get the instructions. Your work is alway beautiful.
Thanks

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

DON'T STOP I love all of your cards and evryday I print the tutorial out and put in a special binder. You should make a CD of your tutorials and I am sure they would sell. Keep up the beautiful work.
Jackie Kenny

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the tut's you do! this makes it so much easier to make the flowers ,although mine never look as good as yours do, I will keep trying. Eva

lisa808 said...

I don't have the words to describe how beautiful and incredible this card is.

Unknown said...

Oh a big YES Selma, watch the tutorials, some times a few times, so if you dont mind doing them, I do enjoy and learning from them.
Thanks much
Donna

Jose said...

More gorgeous cards, and so much detail, thank you for all the instructions I really must find time to follow them, thank you so much
Jose

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

You are so talented and patient at making such beautiful flowers! Another beautiful card!

Anonymous said...

Selma: I LOVE, LOVE your cards, and I REALLY appreciate all the detailed instructions. Your are so talented, and I thank you for sharing all your talents with us. I am learning so much from you. Thank you so much.

Margie Fulcher

Anonymous said...

Please don't stop your tutorials - I just love your flower cards and it's so helpful to learn how the flowers are made - you are such a talented lady!

Rose said...

Oh Selma, please continue the wonderful tutorials. They are wonderful and oh so helpful. Your cards and flowers are so beautiful. thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Can you please give a detailed tutorial on how to use the Marianne Creatables corner die, telling exactly how to run it through the bigshot machine. I have been having a lot of trouble getting it just right.

Jodelights said...

So pretty. I love them. More please xx

ednamburgess said...

An oldie but I just ran across it on Pintress and love it. So beautiful. I think I have all those dies too. Hope so.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails