Monday, February 20, 2012

Lazy Susan Card and Punch Storage


Today I noticed a poor little punch I have been neglecting - well it's really not so little!  It is called the Punch Bunch "Mega Elongated Leaves".  I think I have only used it a couple of times so thought I better try and figure out something different I could create with it.  I came up with a Lazy Susan.  I did not have anything to look, at so hopefully this looks pretty close to that type of flower.

This is the punch I used.  I punched out yellow, light weight card stock three times and used  a combination of all the petals except the largest one.  I used a marker to lightly draw in vertical lines for shading then sponged on "Spiced Marmalade" Distress Ink on the tips of both ends of each petal.  For the center of the daisy, I die cut a very small Spellbinders Scalloped Oval and cut one end of it off.  The yellow petals were glued under the center.  I used scissors to cut out a stem.  I thought it looked more realistic not to cut it straight so made a little curve in it.  The leaves were also punched with this same punch.  


For the background, I embossed the new Marianne Design (DS0915) embossing folder two times.  My card is 5.5" wide so I cut down one piece of embossed folder so I could glue them together and have the die cut design on both sides.  Black card stock was attached under the die cut portions.   I played with that a little and ended up with the seam pretty close to the middle.  To cover the seam, I used the Cheery Lynn "Polynesian Sails Oval" (DL153) doily.  This doily ends up with an open center because there is another small round doily in the center in this die set.  I decided to glue the doily to a piece of white card stock and cut around the outside edges to give it a solid center.  I then ran it through the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder.  The reason I added a back to the doily was because I wanted to add it to the background with dimensional dots.  I didn't like the plain edges on the top and bottom so I die cut the Cheery Lynn "Wedding Garter" (B158) border and cut it down the center so I could use half of it on the top of the card and the other part on the bottom.  I think it helped dress up the card. Beads were added to the center of the daisy and a Cheery Lynn Mini Butterfly (DL112) was added to complete the card.

I wanted to show you how I store all my punches.  I use a couple of those expandable racks that you can use to store spices or other small things on in the kitchen.  This system allows me to see all the punches without having to move them around.  The tool in the lower right hand corner of this picture is the Magnum Power Punch.  My Martha Stewart punches are stored on a rod on the wall with the corner and border punches together. 




20 comments:

Rita said...

Fabulous card Selma, I love the simplicity of the white. Great storage idea too. Thank-you for sharing. Hugs Rita xxx

Becky said...

Your card is fabulous! Maybe one day I will be able to get some of those special punches but for now I must use what I have....my wish list is lonnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg!, lol.....

Marie-Louise said...

Beautiful card. The white is so elegant.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful card love it
and like your punches would like to have them
thank for showing
BEAUTIFUL

redwasher1 said...

WOW! Selma this just pops right off the page!! Beautiful!!

Betty Benton said...

This card is a beauty. And all those punches look like rows of sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Selma, I came across your blog only a few weeks back and I am in love. Everyday I look forward to seeing what beautiful creation you give us to drool over. I love your style so much. I'm inspired and excited at what I see. You give us so much inspiration. Thank you!
Sandra nz

Frann said...

Selma, your Black-eyed Susan card is gorgeous. The flower pops right off the card and looks like it is alive. I really like the way you use white on white for your cards. Your flowers are always beautiful.

Sheila - Ginger said...

Such another very pretty card Selma and so elegant too. Wow all those punches ttoo, love how you keep them stored.

Love sheila xx

Anneke klerks said...

very pretty!!!
hugs anneke

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, I love this card and you certainly made the black eye susan look real. I too love the white back ground. Great job.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Anonymous said...

simple and beautiful.

Amisha

Anonymous said...

This came out beautiful. I have never seen that punch before. Just love your website. Always look forward to seeing your cards Keep up the good work....Beverly

craftieodmae said...

Oh my, how gorgeous, love all the layers and details!

Darlene said...

This is just stunning Selma and looks so real! BEAUTIFUL! WOW ... so that's how you make all these beautiful flowers ... look at all those punches! LOL!!
Thanks again for a very inspirational work of art! You are AMAZING!! Hugs!

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Just love that flower! I have a stamp and stencil with that type of flower on it and have always loved it. But the punched one is so much better with its dimenion! You're so creative!

Sharon in Arizona said...

Gorgeous card, Selma - isn't it amazing what some embossing and punches can do for the appearance of a card!!! Your flower is beautiful! Want to thank you for sharing the punch storage idea - I like that and will probably use it, as I'm in the process of organizing all my crafting supplies. I like the fact that all the punches can be seen so easily - so much better than digging through a drawer. Hugs, Sharon :o)

shulsart said...

Selma, this is just gorgeous, what a beautiful design and oh so elegant!

Anonymous said...

Love this card and the wonderful flower. I'm looking nearly every day to your blog and love especially your flowers. Could you please show us how you use the flower dies which come together with frames from Marianne Designs (CR1201, 1202, 1203 and 12O4)?

I'm sure you could make pretty arrangements with them.

Hugs

Gisa

Carla said...

Oh Selma, this is stunning!!! I absolutely am such of fan of yours and this card is just tops! Hugs,

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails