Friday, January 20, 2012

Tutorial for Creating Roses Using Punches




When I  posted a card with a rose and rose bud a few days ago, a lot of you told me you would love to have a tutorial on how to create them.  Before I get started with the tutorial I want to let you know which products I used on this card.  This is a 5.5"x6" card.  I embossed the background with the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder and then used the new Cheery Lynn "French Lattice Small" (FRM 132) frame. I love the delicate look when using this new frame.  The pretty flourish in the upper right corner is the new Memory Box "Quinn Flourish" (98267).  The sentiment was stamped and die cut using the smallest Spellbinders scallop heart.  The edges were pieced and sponged with Spun Sugar Distress Ink.  The pretty border along the bottom of the card is the new Memory Box "Pepita Border" (98256).  The green flourish is the Heartfelt Creations "Bella Rose Flourish".  I love to use this die cut flourish with all my roses.  The leaves were die cut using the Spellbinders "Rose Leaves" die.  I have created a tutorial for both the Rose in full bloom and one for the Rose buds.  I took a total of 71 pictures while creating these roses and have used only the ones I felt are most important to show you the steps I took.  Since there are so many pictures, (not all 71) I will be posting the tutorial for the Rose Buds tomorrow.

TUTORIAL FOR CREATING A ROSE IN FULL BLOOM  


Before I begin I want to apologize for having such a messy black shaping mat.  I have made thousands of flowers on it and it is about wore out.  I ordered a new mat so next time I make a tutorial for you it won't be so messy looking.  In the picture above are the supplies I used to create the large rose.  The punches used are the Punch Bunch Super Giant Begonia Petals and a six point snowflake.The card stock I used is light weight.  Joan's Gardens carries a large selection of card stock variety packs that are just perfect for creating these flowers - you can see the colors here.    I have punched a stack of petals and for this rose used the largest pink petals.  I will use the smaller petals for different size roses and rose buds. The green petals will be used on the buds.  I always use the tools from the Flower Tool Kit  which are laying on the black shaping mat. The tools come in the box on the left side of the picture. The glue I used for this rose is the "Art Institute Adhesive".  I also like to use the DG3 Art Gel but it is clear and wouldn't show up as well in this tutorial.   All these products can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.

The number of petals you use will depend on the fullness you want in your rose.  For this tutorial I used 18 petals for the open part of the rose plus three more for the closed center.  All the petals were conditioned with the white shaping tool from the Flower Tool Kit.  You go around in circles with this tool until the petals "cups" up.

Next, use the self closing tweezers and curl the edges back on some of the petals to resemble a real rose petal.  Place the tweezers on the very edge and curl under.

With part of the petals you can use the largest stylus and rub around the edges to curl them back.  Also use the tweezers to crease the bottom portion of the petal pulling both sides up (on front side)  to further cup the petal.

Use the punched snowflake for the base of the rose.  Use the large white tool to cup it.  Add glue to every other point as shown above.  I always work on my Craft Mat because it is so easy to clean with a baby wipe.  Joan has the most fabulous "Stay Put Craft Mats" that will not roll on the edges.  It is very large and great for working on when using glue or other products that can be messy.

Add the pointed end of the petals to the glued green points. 

 Add glue to the other three points.

Add three more petals. The petals should overlap. Your first row will look like this.  I created two sections like this.  A third row was completed but the petals were cupped up to begin the closed shape of the rose.  There is a picture below showing all the layers.

When the glue is dry, place each layer on the black shaping mat and use the pointed end of the white tool and press down around the center to fluff up the petals.

Here is what the bottom of  each the three layers will look like.  As you can see the snowflake holds the six petals.  

I used three petals to create the center of the rose.  For the very center, the "pointed" end of the petal will be at the top and was rolled around the self closing tweezers to form a tight point.  Put glue around the bottom of the petal to help keep it closed.  

The next two petals glued to the very center will be added with the point down.  Add glue to the pointed end and twist it around the first rolled petal.  Then do the same thing with the third petal placing the middle of the petal over the end of the last petal.  You want the petals alternated to look realistic. 

When you have all the layers completed you used have these four sections.  You an see the "cupped" section in the lower left corner.  Notice how the outer petals of the center section are slightly flared out.  When placing that center section in the middle of the rose, you may have to trim off the very bottom to acquire the height you want.  

Use glue to attach the two "open" layers together.  Use the stylus to press and hold these sections until they have time to stick together - about 10 seconds.  Place these sections on the black shaping mat and press down in the center with the stylus to help curl up the petals.  

Add the "cupped" section just as you did the first two layers.  When you press the flower down in the shaping mat while the petals are still wet with glue, it helps them to curl up and give you that realistic shape.  Hold down for a few seconds to help hold the shape. You want to be sure and use the largest stylus in the kit.  If you use one that is too small, you might punch a hole through the center and not get a very good shaping.

Put a little pool of glue down in the center of the rose and press in the center rolled section you created.  You will end up with a rose similar to this.  Every rose will turn out slightly different.  I have made lots of roses and I don't think any two turned out exactly the same. Making roses is a little time consuming but so worth the effort. Once you have learned the steps and completed your first rose, you will find each one thereafter will be very easy.

As I create more and more roses, I have finally come up with my own way to create them.  I have never seen a tutorial or any directions on how to create the type of rose bud I make.  I will be back tomorrow with a tutorial on how to create my style rose bud.


401554

43 comments:

DJ Rants said...

This is absolutely enchanting!! Thank you so much for your fabulous tutorial, I'm excited to try your flower making method!!

Caroline D. said...

Breathtaking and amazing!! I appreciate your time in making the tutorial and sharing your talent... I will certainly be trying this tomorrow (it's 11:40pm here right now and my eyes are tires or I'd hit the craft room right now! lol) The card is gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial, Selma. Your roses are exquisite and I am inspired to try these out. As ever, today's card is beautiful.

Inkypinkydelights said...

Selma this is amazing! Thanks so much for the Tutorial! Judy x

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Selma for this
tutorial. These roses are gorgeous.
Your card is so beautiful.
Greetje

Sheila - Ginger said...

Thank you so much Selma for sharing the tutorial with us...I have never seen such lifelike roses before. These are gorgeous!!

Love Sheila xx

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, wow this card is gorgeous and your tutorial is fabulous. I know you have worked hours and hours on it. 70+ pictures in itself is a huge job. I know the ladies are really going to appreciate it. I can almost smell the scent of roses as your flower looks like it was just picked off of the bush. Fantastic job my friend!

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

The Other Patti Sue said...

GREAT tutorial! I will be coming back to it often I'm sure! Beautiful card too! I've been behind on commenting... checked out your posts I've missed and they are all amazing!

Anonymous said...

Selma!! Thank you so much for this tut. I have admired your roses for a while ~ now I can make my own!
Love it! Ruth Gray

Unknown said...

Selma, just love your tutorial, have made numerous rose's before and I have liked how they came out, but I think I love yours a lot better, can't wait to try it!! And I love the fact that I have all that you made it with, so I don't have to wait to do it!! Will let you know how I make out! :)

Thanks for showing us your stunning card, you are so talented and, and your tutorial looks so easy to follow, WONDERFUL job on all!!!

THANKS
Hugs
Donna
Hope you have a great weekend.

lisa808 said...

Beautiful & breath taking card!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely breathtaking! So gorgeous! Selma you are just incredible! I love looking at your sight each day to see what you have come up next. Wow!
Jackie
Salem, OR

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Selma. I am so glad you have the talent for creating and sharing such beautiful cards for me to admire.

Colleen Horner

Judy Inukai said...

Stunning card. The rose is just amazing. It looks so real. Thanks for the wonderful detailed tutorial.

Marg said...

Thank you so very much for the tutorial. The roses are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely awesome!!!!! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
Great tutorial!
Can't wait for the rosebud one tomorrow!! :)

Darla Haverstock
stampingunderdoctorsorders.blogspot.com/

Darlene said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS Selma! I don't have this punch but I will be placing an order shortly and it will be on it!!
How can we thank you for taking the time to share your creativity with us? You make it so much easier to do just by the fabulous tutorials you put on your blog for us! GREAT JOB! Truly inspiring ...
Joan is right ... you can almost catch of whiff of sweet rose aroma from this creation ... looks SO REAL! THANKS SO MUCH ...

sandyh said...

since i get your posts in my email (last thing i see at night!), i don't often comment. but i wanted to say how beautiful this card is, as are all of your creations! thanks for the great tutorial....you make it look easy. i'll be looking for the rosebud tute tomorrow!
tfs, sandyh

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Your flower blows me away! Gorgeous doesn't being to describe it. Looks like you really spent a lot of time on it! The card is just lovely!

Antonella said...

Beautiful! Love your card and the tutorial is fantastic.
Hugs, antonella :-)

Anonymous said...

I love this! I have looked at everything you make. I'm a amazed. But this has to be a favorite of mine. Thank you so much for sharing. hugs Wanda

Payne Holler Cards said...

love your tutorial - this is one gorgeous rose...i need more patience (-:

Happyone or South Coast Sheila said...

Selma all your cards are just Gorgeous! and I Thank You for such a great tuitorial, you sure know your stuff. Thanks so much for all the inspiration.Thanks Sheila B

Pssequimages said...

Can't wait for the new products to come in so I can do this one too. SPECTACULAR! Thank you

Rene said...

You are so talented. Thank you for sharing this tutorial and your beautiful work Selma.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous flowers. Thank you for sharing your technique.

Melanie said...

absolutely gorgeous, Selma!

Memaw said...

Selma your tutorial's are so right on and I can follow them so well you are so creative and talanted I could spend hours just watching you create. Love everything you do.
Thanks for sharing Judy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Selma
Thank you for such a fantastic tutorial, I am really looking forward to trying to make some myself (although mine WON'T be ANY where as beautiful as your's), also loved your card.
hugs
Sandra (craftynan)

Beth Beard said...

Stunning! Thank you so much for the tutorial. Your flowers look so real!

Unknown said...

Well did it las night Selma, made 3 roses and like you said , each one is different and love how it works, took a bit of playing to create each one, but after it "clicked" away I went, off to make some more now!! Want to make some tiny ones, that should be fun, and I don't mean rosebuds, have to try that yet too.

Thanks again,
Hugs
Donna
Don't know if I am going to use these roses, or save them to compare at a later date to see if and how much and if I improve over time.!! Will see.

grace creations said...

Can't wait to try this method for making roses! I love the way you layer your cards, using many dies and punches. My first order from Joan came yesterday afternoon so I havn'nt had time to do much with it yet but am so happy to have found your site and the link to Joan.

A Consuming Passion said...

Another fantastic tutorial Selma.........wish I could sit with you for a couple of hours.......

Caroline D. said...

Wanted to come leave another comment... got my punches from Joan and they arrived yesterday and I just made my 1st rose using your tutorial! Turned out okay pretty and it was fun making it following along on your directions. I'll have to practice more to create the gorgeous ones like you make. Thanks for sharing how you make them!

Elly said...

A GREAT card Selma!!! And a great tutorial!

hugs, Elly

Nan G said...

Thank you, Selma! My friend Joanne and I made our first rose today...and it turned out beauteous!!! Course it took 2 of us, one reading the step by step and the other working the stylus, then both of us to glue it together! LOL we had fun and the rose looked like a rose when we were done!!

Rita said...

What a wonderful Tutorial Selma. Love your roses ,but sadly I don't have the punches required. TFS. Hugs Rita xxx

Myrna Marcano said...

Thank you, Selma! Fantastic tutorial.
Hugs, Myrna

Unknown said...

Awesome. Thanks selma for sharing this beautiful rose tutorial. i visit your blog first time and i love it. your cards looks outstanding.
Best wishes.
www.craft360.blogspot.com

Robin Feicht said...

Impressive Flowers! Love the little Rose Buds to go with your larger flower. Nice tutorial. TFS.

SandytheRed said...

Hi Selma, thank you so much for this tutorial; you are a very talented lady! I love to see your cards and tutorials, they are so special. Your sharing these with us,spurs us on to try out, your beautiful techniques. Wow!!

Hugs from England,Sandy x

Unknown said...

I just now came across your tutorial (from Pinterest) and I am soooo glad I did. Beautiful flower and great tutorial. Can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing your talent. Heading back now to explore more of your wonderful site!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails