Thursday, October 27, 2011

Joan's Gardens Challenge - Creating a Snowy Background


The Challenge at Joan's Gardens this week includes a technique. We thought it would be fun to teach you how to create a fun background. Above is my card completed using this technique.  You will be able to see the snowy background better in photo below.  The stamps I used are the two new Heartfelt Creations  "Magnificent Spruce Trees" (HFC 3432) stamps from the Classic Christmas CollectionI wanted to make the larger tree the focal point and use the stamp with the three trees to create depth in the background then create a snowy scene without using stamps -- this was done by using water!   I have never seen this technique before - it kind of happened by accident and I love the results. I'm going to call it "Snowy Background Technique".  After completing the background, I added some die cuts to complete the card -- they are the Marianne sleigh (LR0178) and reindeer (LR)179).  A gold cord was used to connect the two images.  The corners are from Spellbinders.  The flourish is one of the new Cheery Lynn dies "Holly Flourish" (B148).  The flowers were punched using the "Super Giant Lilacs/Daphne"  Punch  shown below:


Now for the Challenge

This week Joan and I would like to challenge you to create a card using the following technique.  We would like for you to create an "outdoors" scene using tree stamps, if you have them, but you may use any other stamps.  The challenge is to do the "snowy background technique".   You may embellish your card any way you would like.


Here are the steps taken to produce the snowy background for this challenge:

Step 1:   you need a piece of Glossy Card Stock, a light ink and a darker shade of ink.  Blend (or sponge) the lighter ink over the glossy card stock covering the entire piece.

Step 2:  It is hard to see in the photo, but the glossy card stock is completely covered with light green ink.  Next use VersaMark Ink and ink up the stamp you want to use in the background.  Stamp onto the sponged background.  I stamped the three trees  twice, reinking the stamp before stamping the second time.  It will be really hard to see your stamped image at this point.  Use your heat gun to dry the ink.


Step 3:  Use a darker shade of ink and sponge all over the front of the card.  The more sponging you do around the stamped images the better they will show up.  Be sure to add the darker ink all over the entire piece.



 Step 4:  Use the embossing buddy and rub it all over the the card.  Ink up the stamp that will be your focal point with VersaMark Ink and stamp it.  You will notice that part of my larger tree is stamped over one of the smaller trees in the background.  The background is a smooth image so the image you white emboss will stamp perfectly.  See how the trees in the background seem to add depth to the  card.


Step 5: Next you will need a spray bottle with a fine mist.  With your card on the table, hold the spray bottle up about 10 inches and lightly mist the entire front of your card.  Do NOT over spray.  It takes a little while for the water to do it's thing - it will remove some of the ink and create a "snowy" effect.  I did not use a heat gun to speed up this process.  Once you can see the water spots you can decide if you want to lightly spray certain areas again.  Warning - if you spray too much you will get a washed out area.  I like this technique using the trees because it looks like snow falling.   You now can add additional embellishments or just use this as your entry in the challenge. I think these trees are so beautiful you really don't even need other embellishments.   Be sure to go over to Joan's Gardens and link your card to the challenge.  We always look forward to seeing your beautiful cards.  You will be eligible to win a prize plus the winner will be in the drawing at the end of the year for a $100 gift certificate to Joan's Gardens.

Below is how I completed the inside of the this card.

 The sentiment is from Penny Black, the trees are from Heartfelt Creations, and the Christmas Sleigh Border (B140) from Cheery Lynn.


I hope you will join us in the challenge this week at Joan's Gardens.


13 comments:

Sheila - Ginger said...

O Selma you've just snook in anothe stunning creation as I was abot to log off for my lunch.It's brilliant!!Love the way you have done the trees too.

Love Sheila xx

Unknown said...

wow this is something like very much how you did
so now let see what I can do on this challenge and a new technique
thank for showing

craftieodmae said...

Gorgeous card, what a challenge, if the Boys will let me I'll play this weekend, guess you see who rules at my house LOL

Donna said...

Selma, you card is beautiful! Can't wait to try this one out. I'll have to wait until next week though as we are off to my MIL's 80th birthday part this weekend. Rats!

Lynn said...

I can't wait to try/use this technique. Beautiful! Your tutorials always inspire me. Thanks for teaching us this one.

Sadie said...

This is so pretty Selma! Love it and can't wait to try it!

phyllis e said...

This card is beautiful in its simplicity using the trees as a focal point. I love the new technique and hope to try it this weekend. THANKS for sharing it with us.

ednamburgess said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the directions. Will try it. Edna

The Other Patti Sue said...

Great tutorial! I will have to play this weekend! Your card is just gorgeous inside and out!

newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

Beautiful card Selma thanks for the tutorial can't wait to give it a try
Marilyn

Unknown said...

Wonderful card Selma, and I LOVE this technique, have gone through 4-5 tries and trying to get it so it is the way I want, I was slow at learning to not push down to hard on my stamps as they move easy on the glossy card stock and then the image is not clear, so I had to REDO quite a few till I got it right, will be posting a few finished ones within the next few days over at Joans challenge.
Thanks much!! Having fun with this one!
Hugs,
Donna
Have a great weekend.!!

Francie G. said...

What a fabulous tech! Thanks so much for sharing! Just beautiful and so creative!

Shirley said...

What a great technique, Selma! I have to try it. Your card is stunning and TFS the steps too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails