Friday, June 3, 2011

Punch and Dies Tutorial plus Card


 Today I am going to try and answer questions some of you have had about some of the products I use from Joan's Gardens.  Below is a detailed tutorial on how I created this card, which actually shows products used.  I love it when I know you are reading my blog and creating cards from things I try to teach you here on my blog.   One of the cards I have had a lot of questions about is the "Remember" card with the lilies.  I did not go into a lot of detail when posted because I made it at the last minute before leaving town.  So here is, hopefully, the information you wanted about that card plus info on other products you see me using from Joan's Gardens that some of you have had questions about.

 To create this card, start with a 5.5" square card.  Cut another piece of card stock 6" square. Pictured here is the 5.5" card placed on top of the 6" square.


 To create the pretty punched border on the card, use the 6" square piece of card stock and the Martha Stewart "Doulbe Arches" border and corner punches. There has been some confusion about which punch I used, but the name of this punch is "DOULBE" Arches which is one of the largest sized Martha Stewart Border punches.  I really love to use this punch when I want an elegant or lacy looking card.

 Start by punching each of the corners.

 Line one of the corners up on the punch (just like you do for the smaller punches) and punch the border.  You will have to punch this twice - first line it up with the left corner and punch, then move it up to line up the right corner and punch again.  That completes one side.

 This picture shows the completed punched piece of card stock to be used on the front of your card.

 Attach the punched border piece to the front of the card.  I usually just add ProGlider adhesive around the solid portion of this piece and attach it to the front.

 I  wanted to add a rose to this card, so I thought a lattice would be pretty in the background.   Joan's Gardens has these beautiful lattice dies that save you a lot of time when trying to create your own lattice.  This is a picture of how the lattice looks after you die cut it.

This lattice is too large to fit into the center of this punched border on the front of my card.  Remember, you can always do lots of things with your dies, so I cut it down to fit into the center.  The outside edges were cut off, then I cut narrow strips of card stock to place back on to make the lattice look more finished - no raw edges.  You can see that on the card.


For greenery around my rose, I used some more new products from Joan's Gardens.  Pictured above are the Cheery Lynn Pair of Ferns.  These are really nice because you get two ferns in the pakage, both facing opposite directions.

 Joan's Gardens now has a lot of the beautiful Marianne Design Creatables Dies.  This is the leafy vine I used.  The die cut fine is on the right.

 This package of Marianne Creatables has two different dies in it.  I have die cut both of them and placed them beside the package of dies. For this card I only used the die on the left.  There are two of these behind the rose.

I better not leave out how I created the rose.  I used all three sizes of the " Pear" Punch.  The rose leaves were created with some of the leaves from the "Mega Giant  Dahlia Petals" punch. Isn't it nice how once you get all these punches, you can use them for so many different things.  I have made many different flowers with this punch and now find I can use it for many different size leaves. 

EDIT:  Tutorial for creating the rose is posted June 4 - (Next post)

Well I hope this tutorial is a help. I hope you will leave me a comment below to let me know if you like this type of tutorial where I actually show the products along with all the information about creating the card.

All the products above are sold at Joan's Gardens


30 comments:

A Consuming Passion said...

Stunning card Selma and a great tutorial too! When can I come and play at your house????

Bette said...

Can I come too??? I absolutely love your cards. Joan has the greatest products and between you two ladies, you are kind enough to show us how to use them. Your tutorial is easy to follow and many thanks for it. Now to get busy and make beautiful cards like you do.

Bette H. said...

Selma!
You need to move to the midwest so we can all come and play with you. I look forward to you beautiful daily cards. The tutorial are awesome and much appreciated. YOUR BIGGEST FAN

Anonymous said...

I LOVED your tutorial and I especially liked that you have all the products included. It makes me want to buy them ALL!!! You are SO talented and we thank you so much for sharing your idea's and wonderful creative projects with us all.

Peggy in Mentone CA

velta said...

Selma ~ Your card is stunning! I do not always comment when I visit, because I work full time and have little time to spend doing what I would love to do (like making cards) however, I do LOVE your artwork and want you to know that I visit every time you post. As always this is another stunner! Gorgeous in every detail! What I would give to visit with you and Joan (where I buy a lot of my goodies) to just spend time and learn from you both. Thank you for sharing your creations on your blog...You and Joan are two of my very favorite artists and I thank you both for sharing and for all of your ideas. Blessings to you both!!

Clare said...

Just gorgeous! I love the rose!

Sheila - Ginger said...

WOW! This is stunning Selma and many thanks for the tutorial too.

Love Sheila xx

Anonymous said...

Loved the tutorial-very easy to understand and follow. Your work is beautiful!!

I don't live too far from you, Forest Grove, Oregon!! A gal I used to work with lives in Deer Island.

Linda Ambler

Anonymous said...

very nice thank you..

-----Joyce

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Selma. Now I have to have this die too.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wow! Just too gorgeous for words. Look at all the dies I MUST buy! Selma you are an enabler too! Thanks for sharing your wonderful creations with us.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

What a masterpiece! WOW

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Love the lattice die cut with that MS punch! Very pretty!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing. I love this tutorial to pieces. Finely I can use my punch set.
I am still trying to absorb all that I read and see on your site. Your items have helped more then some of the big name people. You by far out create some who you do cards for.
Each day now I have meaning to my life more then ever. I get up and can not wait for your column to come on.
God Bless you in your many days ahead!
Ann Bonine

Anonymous said...

I have long admired your work and just have had no time to leave a comment. This is a beautiful card and I'm so glad you gave detailed instructions and the products used.
Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Selma,

I just had great afternoon working with a friend and a print out of your tutorial on Friday. I don't think I mentioned I am legally blind so I struggle with some things and punch around has been one of them. Today Maria showed me how to line up the corners and go from there. She is reproducing your rose card as a sympathy and that is what we worked on today. I have been a long time follower of your blog. I guess I should go out and actually sign up to receive the updates. I usually just log on and take a look. Just so happens Maria and I both have a number of the Dies (cherry Lynn) products so reproducing the card using the lattice was fun and a treat since we already had it. There are three of us (Maria, my sister and myself) that are frequent buyers from Joan's and constant followers of your blog. Of the three of us Maria buys EVERYTHING, I buy MOST things and my sister sits back and borrows from us. It works out great. My sister lives next door and is also legally blind so Maria helps us a lot. I am tickled to death that between your tutorial and Maria's eyesight I now can do punch around. I'm anxious to try some of the smaller punch around punches. I didn't realize they had them in different depths. Thank you again for all your help and encouragement. Susan

Patsy B. said...

You just absolutely ROCK! Your creations are beautiful beyond compare!

Sharon said...

I love all of your art. I do have a question. How do you mail the cards that you put the flower's on? I made the rose but couldn't figure out how to mail it. Is there some way to make them shorter? Thanks for all you do.

marsha said...

WOW Selma, this is AWESOME! I want to come and play too! Maybe we can all charter a bus to Joan's house!
Hugs,
Marsha

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Your cards are absolutely stunning and this one is just beautiful! I am in awe!
Diane (from Singapore)

Barbara Colbert said...

Excellent tutorial....very good explanation and directions are easy enough to follow. Thanks!!! Your cards are so lovely!!! Thanks for sharing!

Lana said...

Selma I should just copy and paste my comment to you, it always seems to be the same words STUNNING JUST STUNNING!!!LOL You are so inspiring!!! Thanks for all your hard work!

Diane said...

Gorgeous~Stunning~beautiful....!!!!

Chrissy said...

I could just write "DITTO: to what has already been said..You have an amazing talent, great tutorial.I love your work...brilliant.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Barbara Bruder said...

What a fabulous card and the utorial is just great. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Shirley said...

What a gorgeous card, Selma! Your tutorial was also great and looks like I have some products to order from Joan. Really liked what you shared about how you used the lattice. Thanks again, and I look forward to future tutorials.
Shirley L.
Roseville, CA

Shirley said...

What a gorgeous card, Selma! Your tutorial was also great and looks like I have some products to order from Joan. Really liked what you shared about how you used the lattice. Thanks again, and I look forward to future tutorials.
Shirley L.
Roseville, CA

Anonymous said...

HI SELMA,
I CAN'T STAND IT! YOU HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL
CARDS I HAVE EVER SEEN, I LOVE EVERYONE OF THEM
SELMA, YOU TRUELY HAVE A GIFT.
HUGS AND SMILES
GAYLE

Tina Crea said...

oh I love your cards
and thank you for the tutorial.

I'll try to do a card like you.

Benzi said...

Selma, thank you so much for the info on using the deep edge punch around the page. I use the smaller ones often but wasn't sure about the measurement for the deep edge. I left you a big thank you tonight on my blog post:
http://benzistampz.blogspot.com/2012/01/thanks-selma-pink-and-frilly.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails