Sunday, June 5, 2011

Joan's Challenge

 Under the flowers is the  Cheery Lynn Designs "Italian Flourish" Doily and Marianne "Accents". The pretty sentiment on the box is a Penny Black stamp called "Friendship".



Have you started your project yet for the challenge this week at Joan's Gardens.   This is one you won't want to miss out on because it is really fun.  We have a guest designer, Glenda Brooks who has prepared a tutorial for us to create a beautiful project.  I just completed my box and am so excited to learn these techniques.  Be sure to go over to Glenda's blog to see her beautiful box and read her tutorial.   THANK YOU GLENDA FOR BEING OUR FIRST GUEST DESIGNER FOR OUR SUMMER CHALLENGES.     

This project is very easy to do.  First you create beautiful paper to cover your box.  Glenda has all the instructions for you.  I used three colors of Distress Inks:  Peeled Paint; Dusty Concord; and Broken China.  

 The box I chose to cover is one I had by Cosmo Cricket.  This box has an opening in the top so I got a piece of card board and cut it down to the size of the lid on the box.  The glue I used is "Crafter's Pick"   It adheres to metals, plastics, glass and more.  You can get this great glue from Joan's Gardens.  I also use it when assembling my flowers.

 I placed the cardboard down in the back of the paper I created and cut around it leaving a small margin to tuck under. A narrow line of glue was placed around the edge of the cardboard then the paper pulled up to glue it down.  I didn't have to put glue under the paper that covered the top.  The glue is fast drying so it was really easy to do this. 


Isn't that a beautiful texture!  Once I covered the cardboard, it was glued to the lid of the box.  When you read Glenda's tutorial, you will see how easy it is to create this pretty paper.

My flowers and leaves were die cut from the Cheery Lynn Designs "Judy's Blooms" C184, die.  This is one of the new flower and leaf dies that Joan's Gardens now carries.  Since the flowers and leaves are on one die, I cut strips of purple card stock just as wide as the flowers, and then strips just as wide as the leaves.  This way I wasn't cutting out purple leaves or green flowers.  In Glenda's tutorial she embossed the flowers prior to creating them but I decided to emboss only the leaves.  Some of you have been asking me to use the Cheery Lynn flower dies.  This is the only one I have right now, but more are on their way and I will be using them soon.

 
 After die cutting the leaves I sponged them with a darker green ink.  The flowers and leaves in this set are so pretty -- they even have little cuts for the veins, which make them looks so realistic.  Both the leaves and flowers were shaped with the tools from the "Flower Tool Kit".  For the texture on the leaves I used the Tim Holtz texture stamps.  The one I used in the picture above is the one on the bottom.  I hope you can see the pretty texture it gave to the leaf on the left side in the photo above.  The leaves were gold embossed.   

Please go over to Joan's Gardens to see all the details about our first Summer Challenge.  I really hope you will join us because Glenda has prepared a wonderful tutorial I know you will love to use over and over.  Please add your completed project to the link at the bottom of the challenge on Joan's Gardens.  Remember your project does not have to look exactly like Glenda's -- we are looking for projects using the techniques and I'm sure all projects entered will be different.  Someone will win a nice prize this week and also be entered in the $100 drawing for a gift certificate from  Joan's Gardens.  Wouldn't you love to win that certificate and spend it on all those extra things you love at Joan's Gardens!

Products from Joan's Gardens used on this box:  Distress Inks: Peeled Paint, Dusty Concord; Broken China; Cheery Lynn Designs "Italian Flourish" doily die; Marianne "Accents"; Cheery Lynn Designs "Judy's Blooms" 4"x4" dies; Penny Black "Friendship" stamp; Large and Medium Sun Punches for stamens; Tim Holtz Texture stamp; Flower Tool Kit; Crafter's Pick adhesive; Spellbinders "Labels Four".


12 comments:

Karen W said...

Oh my this is over the top gorgeous, I got on here to see the previous card which by the way is beautiful and I saw this. I really have to try this technique, I LOVE it!!!!

craftieodmae said...

another gorgeous creation Selma!

The Other Patti Sue said...

Great tutorial and beautiful creation!

Darlene said...

This is FABULOUS Selma!! What a great idea to cover that opening in the box. I looked to use this same box but figured the whole in the lid was a problem ... never thought to cover it ... DUH!! Again, you have inspired me in so many ways!! Great job!

CraftinGranny said...

Beautiful project Selma. Love those colors and the texture. Thanks for the tips. "Hugs" Carol

Sheila - Ginger said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! beautiful Selma! Oh how I love to visit your blog....and what a lovely sentiment to finish it off. Great tutorial too!

Love Sheila xx

Glenda said...

See, it's not as complicated as it looks! I love your box! You aced the paper and I love the colors you chose to work with! Your flowers are top notch as always!

Diane said...

Gorgeous Selma......love the colors of this one, ...and thats the glue I used too...your flowers are beautiful as always!!!

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! More dies I need to get! Thanks for sharing.
Jackie

A Consuming Passion said...

I love your project Selma and thought Glenda's tutorial was fabulous!!! I've bookmarked it to try a little later.....I need the Ranger re-inkers.....I've been putting off getting them but think I have to have just one more set of colouring products!!!!!!

redwasher1 said...

WOW!!! You just make the most beautiful cards and projects!!! Love this beautiful box. Wishing your DD the best of luck with her surgery!!

Lana said...

Selma, Again another fabulous project from you!! The colors you chose are fabulous as are your flowers. Just beautiful all of it!!
Will be praying for your DD! God bless!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails