Saturday, May 22, 2010

Update on Indiana Workshop

Before I start my post today I want to thank all of you who have sent cards to my niece.  She has received cards from all around the world and they have certainly cheered her up.  She is very excited to open every card.  She is amazed at all your talent and is adding the cards to a scrapbook album.  I really appreciate all the love you have sent.

I have just returned from a very fun filled "vacation".  I flew into South Bend, IN to do a workshop for Joan Fricker at Joan's Gardens.  What  wonderful people Joan and Jon are.  Jon is Joan's husband. I really enjoyed my stay with them.   I have some pictures of Joan, myself, my friend Pam and the workshop projects I prepared.  I met many stampers who follow my blog and have made many new friends.  Joan's workshops are just fabulous and I highly recommend you attend if you get a chance.  The next one will be in August.

My challenge was to create and teach some new techniques for Joan and the participants.  Below are pictures of the items I created for the workshop.  You can see additional pictures on Joan's blog and Pam's blog.



Joan and Selma


Pam  (Stampin' Pam) and Selma

Pam drove down from upper Chicago to attend the workshop.  On Sunday Pam and I drove back to her house and had so much fun.  Pam, her husband and I went to a restaurant called "The Shanty" and had a delicious dinner that evening. Pam had never heard of this restaurant but it was featured on the Food Network and I really wanted to go.  What fabulous food!   

Monday afternoon I was to go stay with another friend who lives in Elk Grove Village.  I have been using JustRite stamps for a long time and noticed on their site they are located in Elk Grove Village. As you can see below, I used three JustRite stamp sets in my workshop projects.   I wanted to stop by and see if they had a retail store.  Pam and I went before she dropped me off at my friend's house.  I will tell you all about this exciting visit in a later post.

As you probably know, I posted a tutorial on how I make my vellum flowers.  I have had so much response  to that tutorial I decided to show everyone at the workshop how to do it and let them make some.  Below is one of the pictures from the tutorial.  You can purchase the punches and vellum needed to create these flowers from Joan's Gardens.





The first project for the group was to make a shadow box card.  I had many details incorporated so they all learned a lot of techniques.   The tulips, which were colored with Koh-i-noor Pencils and OMS, is from the JustRite stamp set "Breath of Spring".  The verse is from the JustRite stamp set "Autumn Blessings".  All the JustRite stamp sets are also available from Joan's Gardens.  The card below is the one Joan made in the workshop.



Joan had never used Koh-i-noor pencils and OMS.  One of my demonstrations included this technique.  Also on this card I wanted to show how to use many layers without a lot of bulk.  They were taught how to cut out frames for each layer.  Also I am always asked about how to cut out flowers so I did a demonstration and showed them how to create a dimensional flower by layering  several flowers.  The flowers used on this card are from the JustRite stamp set "Plant A Little Love".  The little girl is  the Stampavie "Cherry Pickin' stamp. 


The following picture shows the cut out frames for layering.  This was done using a Fiskar's paper cutter.


For this last project I had everyone create a 6x6x3 inch box.  It was covered using 2 different 12x12"  pieces of Webster's Pages and decorated using mulberry flowers which Joan had to get from England.  Aren't they beautiful.  She now carries these in her store.   Flourishes were cut out with the Cricut and a MS punch was used for the leaves. 


Below is a picture of the side of the box showing the paper and pretty lace used for the edge of the lid.  This lace was attached with ScorTape.


The inside of the bottom of the box.


I had them cut out a portion of the design from the Webster's Pages paper to add a sentiment to the inside of the lid.


I want to thank Joan for the opportunity to go out and present this workshop.  It was wonderful to meet her, her family  and all the other stampers. 

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a wonderful weekend.



(Some project pictures were borrowed from Joan Fricker.)

13 comments:

AKiteFlier said...

OOooh sounds like fun - what a great trip *snort* *chuckle* *giggle* It was GREAT having you here Selma. I'll touch base with you shortly. Been running errands all day. UGH. LOVELY projects - then and still :-) We must plan another time together, soon.

Michelle said...

Hi Selma

Im glad you had such a wonderful trip, your projects look gorgeous.

Kerrie said...

OMG... sounds like you have just had a blast of a time, great to meet people you communicate via computer. All your projects are gorgeous, the box is just stunning. Look forward to hearing the rest of the trip!

A Consuming Passion said...

Hi Selma!
So good to hear all the news about your trip. It really sounds as though you had a ball!! I saw your projects and a couple of pictures on Joan's blog will now go check Pam's! Missed your posts while you've been away so looking forward to catching up. x

Payne Holler Cards said...

wow - what an awesome trip! so looking forward to hearing more - your projects are just stunning!!! so now you're home and can try to rest up after your "vacation" LOL
glad you made it back safe and sound,
hugs,
Linda

sandyh said...

sounds like you had a fabulous time!
i would like to have spent time in your classes!
sandyh
sandyha@comcast.net

craftieodmae said...

I'm so glad you had fun and enjoyed meeting such wonderful people. All of your projects are of course gorgeous! Great pic of you gals too!! TFS

Mary G. said...

WOW! What FABULOUS projects!!! What a fun time you had!!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're back and had a great time. Thanks for sharing the beautiful cards.

Jackie

Nana Griffin said...

Thanks for sharing about your trip and the beautiful projects!

Darlene said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your company & your talents! These projects are AWESOME and this was the best workshop I've ever been to! Thanks for all the wonderful fun & crafting tips!
Hope to see you again sometime! Have a wonderful holiday weekend!!

Nina said...

wow what beautiful projects Selma, but that does not surprise one bit. I wish I could have attended, maybe I will check out the one coming up in August. Wish I could have met you (tear tear). Sounds like you had lots of fun, wish I was there!

Janie Printz said...

Oh what beautiful creations you have on here ... Love them but my favorite one is the pink card ...
Simply gorgeous !!!
Hugs from Montana, Janie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails