Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tutorial on Making Punched Vellum Flowers







This card shows flowers stamped from the JustRite stamp set "Plant a Little Love".   The stamps,  punches, and pearls can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.  I have not made very many tutorials so I hope this is helpful.  Warning, there are lots of pictures.




This picture shows the three Martha Stewart punches used for these flowers and leaves.  I used vellum rather than card stock.  I use colored vellum which can be purchased from Joan's Gardens. This vellum comes in a pad and has a variety of colors.  I love every color.   For the flowers you can use two shades of the same color, if you want them two-toned.


Once the flowers and leaves are punched out, use a stylus to create lines to give them more dimension.  I do this on a thick pad such as a mouse pad.  I think it makes a big difference in the appearance of the flowers and leaves.  I also used the stylus to punch down in the center of each flower petal to give it some shape prior to glueing them together.  



Start building the flowers by adding a very tiny dot of liquid glue in the center of each flower.


Use a stylus to push down in the center as you build the flowers.  I used three of the large petals, one of the large petals from the punch that has two size petals, and one of the tiny petals.  The stylus used for pushing down in the center of the flowers is  larger so it doesn't poke a hole through the vellum.



This picture shows the flowers once they are glued together.




I added a small flat backed pearl to the center of each flower using tweesers.  To attach the flowers to the card, I used pop dots.  The leaves were added by putting a small amount of the liquid glue to the stem end and placed under the flower.  The flowers on the card today are a little different from the earlier post.  I was trying to create a flatter flower to match the card.  What gives them more dimension is how much you  use the stylus to push the flower down in the black mat.  I also have some smaller flowers made using just the petals from the punch with two flowers on it.    When I made the leaves, after creating the veins on the leaf, I slightly folded it in half to give it some dimension.



I was asked about the lattice I had behind the card I made for the StampTV blog Hop (post under this post), so I thought I would show you how I made it.  I used a 3-inch strip of white card stock and punched down one side. 


Next punch down the opposite side. 


Use paper cutter and cut off the white strip in the middle right along the edge of the punched area.  Do this on both pieces.



When you place the two pieces together, match up the lattice.  I used used a liquid glue that has a brush on it (Martha Stewart), and placed it on my dp butting the two edges together matching the lattice.  If you look closely, you can see where the cut is in the above picture.

On the card posted today, I overlapped the lattice because I wanted it narrow.  Nice you can make it a size to fit your needs!

I hope I made this tutorial so you understand how I made the flowers and lattice.  Are you going to make these flowers?  If you post them on your blog,  I would appreciate you linking back to my blog.

I would love to read your comments about this post.  

Thanks for visiting my blog.


45 comments:

Nilla said...

Great tutorial!! Thanks for sharing! Hugs Nilla

The Other Patti Sue said...

Great Tutorial! Love the flowers!

Lisa Foster said...

What an amazing tutorial! These are so beautiful! Thank you so much for showing us how to make them!
Hugs,
Lisa

Betty Benton said...

Terrific tutorial, Selma! Thanks so very much. I love the idea to use the vellum -- makes a lovely flower!

auntie lisa said...

Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful card with us....and thank you so much for the tutorial. Now I 'need' to run to Michael's and get these punches. Well the bright side is I do already have the trellis punch! I am so glad I found your blog...I will be checking back regularly now!!
Lisa

redwasher1 said...

Beautiful card and I love the flowers!! Your tut is perfect!!

jean wilson@jlt03@comcast.net said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial on the flowers and lattice. You did a great job showing us how! Thanks again!

Betty Neville said...

Wonderful tutorial Selma! Everything was very clear - thanks very much!

Nancy Jensen said...

WOW! I sat here saying, "wow, wow, wow" as I looked over your tutorial. I LOVE IT! I don't have those particular flower and leaf punches but I do have the edger and other floral punches. I can't wait to give it a try!

Winnie and Patty said...

Selma--thanks so much for taking the time to make the tutorial. I can't wait to try this! Your card is lovely! And of course I love the pink flowers (pink is my favorite color!) Again, thanks for taking the time to teach us how to make the flowers!

Colleen said...

Selma,
I love you card and the directions are fantastic!

Cheri said...

Thank you, Selma. This tut was really helpful and something I'm going to try.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Selma! Great tutorial! I really appreciate it. I guess I also need a couple more of MS punches too! LOL! Never have enough!

Jackie

CraftinGranny said...

Fantastic job on the tutorial and I don't think there were too many pictures. I'm definitely going to make some of these but I don't have all those punches so it may be a few days before you see them. I'm going to print these off so I don't forget them and do appreciate the time you put into creating this tutorial. Thanks Selma! Beautiful work!!!
"Hugs" Granny
BTW- I love that card and how you embossed the background of the oval.

Nana Griffin said...

A great tutorial. I also was wondering on how you made that lattice work and I love the card.

HighDesertGal said...

Selma that was an excellent tutorial! I'll try them after annual
spring cleaning (ugg). Thank you!
I love to read your posts & you have some amazing cards.
Hugs, Nancy

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, fantastic tutorial. Your flowers are beautiful. Thank you so very much!!

Joan

Cherie said...

Selma, Thanks for the fantastic tutorial! It's great! Your card is stunning! Here goes my craft budget again! :)

craftieodmae said...

well you know I gotta try this!!! I love your cards......

Nina said...

wow, that looks like a lot of work, but well worth the effect for such a lovely outcome!! great tutorial!! I think I must have those punches now... oh my, I finally bought that lattace one!

Theresa's Studio said...

Thanks for the tute. Flowers are beautiful. Great look with vellum.

Nina's Mom..Toni said...

I think you did a great job on the tutorial. Makes me want to go out and buy those punches right now, but will have to wait. I also really like the lattace punch. Want that also. The flowers are just beautiful....same on the cards.

Payne Holler Cards said...

YOU ARE AWESOME! love this toot! have saved to Word document...when I get to do these flowers - I will send everyone your way for this great tutorial...TFS so much, hugs
Linda

Nina said...

love ur flowers; do you sell them too?

Nina said...

love ur flowers; do you sell them too?

Nana Griffin said...

Your tutorial was very helpful. I so enjoyed learning how to do these flowers and that trellis I was wondering about too. thanks so much for taking the time to explain it all so well.

Linda Bandow said...

Wow! Selma...thanks SO much for the vellum flower tutorial. Love your work!

Barbara Taylor said...

Love the flowers, thanks for the tutorial on making them. Beautiful card.

Anonymous said...

Sooo beautiful - you are so talented. Thanks for sharing

Heather said...

This was soo helpful - thank you!
I was at my LSS and didn't pick up these punches. Now I wish I had-lol! The way stylus marks each piece really makes a difference and I'll be doing that from now on.
Thanks once again!

Sam said...

Wow, these flowers are so beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to post the tutorial. I have ordered those punches and cannot wait to try these. Stunning.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited! I found another wonderful stamp site! Thanks - you tutoril on the velum flowers is great, and your cards are wonderful. Found you on STV.

I am having a difficult time getting my blogging going - can never remember my password, so for now, I will go anonymous.

Melanie said...

these are so precious! I think I need to go stock up on all the MS punches next time they are 30% off at hobby lobby (crossing fingers thats this week!)

April said...

I love these flowers. Thanks for the tutorial! Your card is very pretty.

April

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Love these flowers! Thanks so much for the tutorial. Loved all the step by step photo's that really made it helpful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for this information. The flowers are absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to try to make them. Your tutorial is fantastic.

Nina said...

Selma, I finally got this punch, well, not the sinlge one, but the one with the 3 and so I guess my flowers are a bit smaller, but just as beuatiful! Thanks for the tutorial! Miss you!

Lyse said...

Great ! I'm a pergamano fan and I love your parchment flowers. Thank you for that lovely tutorial.

hoppywabbit said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Annie

Anonymous said...

I like it very much!

arizonamaine said...

Your creations are beyond beautiful! I have really enjoyed my first visit and will come again for your tutorials. Thank you for sharing your pulchritudinous designs!

Nangie

Hobbie carterie said...

bravo c'est magnifique,merci pour les tutos.
bonne journée
Christelle de France

Lagene said...

Fantastic vellum flowers & I love the lattice!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial, I have been thinking of using velum to make flowers and now I know just how to do it.

Unknown said...

Great tutorial, I have been thinking of using velum to make flowers and now I know just how to do it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails