Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spiral Rose Tutorial

I have received several requests to show how I made the "vintage" roses I have been using lately that were die cut with Spiral Rose dies.  I have several different spiral flower dies and I am using one of the Spellbinder Spiral Rose dies and one from Memory Box for this tutorial.   Before I start the tutorial, I will give you the information about this card.  It is a 5.5" x 6" card.  I used the new Spellbinders border from the "Persian Accents".  The whole border was added along the bottom of the card, and just the top portion of that  same border was cut off and used along the top. The background was embossed with one of the new Spellbinders "M-Bossabilities"  (Elite) folder. 

The roses were created using the Spellbinders "Spiral Blossom One" (S4-351) -- which has only one die. When I made this tutorial I did not have the new Spellbinders "Bitty Blossoms" (S5-086) which has three different sizes of this spiral flower in one package.  You can do a search on Joan's Gardens blog to see the difference in the two sets of dies.   The flourish is from Heartfelt Creations "Bella Rose Die" (HCD 712).  A couple of Marianne Design Leaves (LR0156) and Ivy (LR0206) are tucked under the flowers.  Pink Kaiser Craft Pearls, a feather and a few little white flowers were added to complete the card.

TUTORIAL FOR CREATING VINTAGE STYLE ROSES USING SPIRAL DIES

 You can use any rose spiral flower die to create roses like these.  Joan's Gardens has many different spiral dies from different companies.  This is the large Spellbinders Spiral Rose.  First I mist the die cut with water and let it sit for a couple of minutes then wipe dry with a paper towel. This makes the card stock easy to shape.

Next I kind of accordian folded the strip as shown above.  When the card stock is damp, it will "crunch" up pretty easy.  You don't want it to be an even "crunch" because this is what is going to give the rose petal it's unique texture.

Here you can see I have done this with two different types of spiral flowers.

 I like to create a lot of these flowers at one time and this is a picture of a lot of them that I have "crunched up".  They need to be dry and you can use the heat gun to dry them before continuing to the next step.

When they are dry, I flatten them out so they are back in the spiral shape but not flattening out the wrinkles.

Use the self-closing tweezers and start rolling the strip to create your rose.  You can make the rose as tight or lose as you want.  Many times I will add a little glue right at the beginning along the bottom edge so that the center will stay tight - maybe 1/4" of glue.  See that large circle in the middle - I put glue over that circle, and once the rose is rolled, that becomes the base and you sit the rolled rose on that circle and hold  it a little while until it sticks.  While they are drying, you can go back and press it down one or two more times just to be sure it is sticking to the base.

Here are all the roses I made one evening.  I die cut a lot of them so I could take them with me when I watch TV and I work on them there.  If you use the card stock we use from Joan's Gardens, you can die cut two at once.  I have several different spiral rose dies and place several on a strip of card stock and with two layers of card stock, have a lot die cut with one roll through the die cutting machine.

I hope this tutorial helps you create your roses.  Of course you can just roll the flower and  it makes a very pretty "smooth" petal rose; you can also shape the petals with the tools from the Flower Tool Kit.

474515

15 comments:

Kathy said...

Awesome tutorial, Selma! Oooo, I can't wait to try it out! I used the rose die once and it lacked "character", this will do the trick! Thank you for sharing! Blessings! Kathy

Unknown said...

Fantastic tutorial Selma....I am about to cut a whole lot out and try this crunching technique....your blog is fantastic...love it. Hugs, Aussie Annie

Francie (Montreal) said...

Thank you for the crunching tip. That will give my roses some personality. I enjoy your blog enormously and have great admiration for your creations. You are one very talented lady.

Rita said...

How beautiful is your card to-day Selma. Its so kind of you to share your Tutorial with us all. Your roses are beautiful. Hugs Rita xxx

Sheila - Ginger said...

Another stunning creation Selma...I love the way you do all your beautiful flowers and thank you for another wonderful tut.

Love Sheila xx

Glenda said...

I feel so blessed to get to visit here and see all your beautiful creations. Great tutorial and I love the finished product! Just a lovely creation!

Karen W said...

Beautiful card Selma, so pretty and ready for spring!

craftysals creative corner said...

I did wonder how you did those roses selma, many thanks for bringing us a tutorial and thank you once again for your inspring cards

The Other Patti Sue said...

Gorgeous card and great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

thank u so much for this excellent tutorial.

Amisha

crafty lynn said...

What thickness/weighr would the card/paper stock have to be to cut 2 at a time, thats he only drawback to die cutting is the time to die cut each one.

Roberta said...

Selma, your designs are THE BEST ever!! Thx so much for the incredible inspiration!!!

Lorraine said...

Hi Selma,thank you so much for the tutorial, I just tried my first flower with Spellbinder Bitty Blossom dies that I only got this morning, can't believe how good it looks, thank you so much.

Merry Christmas :)

Martie Rollin said...

I want to give the new spiral flower from Stampin' Up a try, but all the tutorials I've seen don't result in as much "character" as your tutorial. Thanks go to Google Images for leading me to your site. Great flowers!

Purple Diva 6 said...

I have been making this type of rose/ flower for years, but thought to scrunxh up the paper, they look absolutely beautiful and have so much character, I am so pleased I came across your tutorial... Thankyou for sharing this technique.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails