Sunday, March 6, 2011

Punched Rose Tutorial



Since I posted my tag last week for Joan's Gardens Tag Challenge, I have had a lot of requests, even from Joan,  to do a tutorial on how I made the rose made with punches from Joan's Gardens.  Before I get started, here the products used to create my card:  Nestabilities Labels 4; Martha Stewart Monarch Butterfly, Branch and Large Chrysanthemum  Punches; Sizzix Flourish; JustRite "You Inspire Me" fancy frame; JustRite "Kindness" sentiment; Heartfelt Creations stamped rose leaves; and Basic Grey "Sultry" design paper.  All products used on this card can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.

Below are the products and steps to create my rose:

Three sizes of the pear punch were used.  I didn't count how many petals I punched but used three eleven inch long pieces of pink card stock and punched as many as I could of each size.  I use the Power Punch I purchased from Joan's Gardens.  It is like cutting through butter when you punch with this tool.  And I'm sure you know the punches can also be purchased from Joan's Gardens.

Using the smallest circle in my Nestabilities, I die cut a circle and conditioned it with one of the tools from the Flower Tool Kit on the black mat.  You want to go around in circles causing the edges to curl (cup) up.

Using the same tool, you condition each of the punched petals (pears).  Do not cut off the stem of the pear.

After all the petals are conditioned, I used a large sponge dauber and sponged a darker pink ink on the edges to give the rose more "depth" of color.  I have to admit - I did have pink fingers by the time I finished.

Using the self-closing tweezers that are in the Flower Tool Kit, pinch each petal right in the center  on the stem end of the pear.  Kind of roll the edges around the tweezers. This will cause the side to roll forward and the top of the petal will roll backwards giving the petal a realistic look.  You can also use the tweezers to roll the upper edges of the petals back or forwards for more dimension. 

Using the conditioned circle, start adding the largest petals.  Add glue to the stem of the pear and attach to the edge of the circle.  Start by attaching them opposite each other as shown.

Now add to more petals in between the first two petals.  I used Aileen's Tacky Glue.  Press the "stem" of the pear down for a few seconds with the end of the stylus to get it to stick.  You only want glue on the very end so that the petals will cup up. 

Keep adding petals alternating them between the lower level.  Once you have a couple of rows of the largest petals, you start with the medium size petals then end up using the smallest petals in the center.
Add as many rows as you want until you get the fullness you want.  Now you are ready to create the center of the rose.

Using your self closing Tweezers, roll the petal around the tweezers.

It will look like this when fully rolled.  I rolled three petals this way.

Once the three petals are rolled, I pushed them down inside each other to form the closed bud of the flower.  Add glue as needed to help them stick together.

Add glue all around the outside of your closed bud and push it down in the center of your rose.  You now have a very realistic looking rose. 

On my card I attempted to create a rose bud.  This is my first try.  I created it just like I did for the very center of the rose only used more petals.  I think it looks pretty good.

I hope my tutorial makes it easy for you to understand how I created my roses.  Joan's Gardens does have a supply of the Pear Punches, the Flower Tool Kits, and black mat.  If you are interested in the Power Punch, she will be happy to order it for you. 

I would love to read your comments. 

23 comments:

Payne Holler Cards said...

THUD! most gorgeous rose I've ever seen - your toot is wonderful! TFS

CraftinGranny said...

This is so beautiful Selma. I think I got it now. Have to order the punches. I do have the kit and now I think I will be able to understand how to use the tools so much better. I would never have thought of using a pear punch for these petals. Got any other list of punches you use for flowers? If so I would really appreciate that list.

Thank so you very much my dear friend for sharing your talent and knowledge with all of us.
"Hugs" Carol

Joan Fricker said...

Selma what a great tutorial and your rose/card is gorgeous. Thanks so much for showing us how to make the rose using the pear punches. I can't wait to try it,.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Mary G. said...

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the ground......Selma, this is STUNNING! I can't believe that beautiful rose was made using pear punches! WOW! Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to have to try this!

Sharon Peele said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial!!! I sooo want to start making my own flower!! maybe one day!!!

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous card Selma, and a great turorial.
your roses are incredible, You are one very clever lady......and patient.Me & glue dont see eye to eye, we usually see fingers to desk or card or scraps, lol.Fabulous job.
Luv CHRISSYxx

Sherry Kushibab said...

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, what a delicious looking card - true eye candy looking at this rose - great pics in your tutorial on the rose also.

Patti J said...

Wow, Selma! You are the queen of patience! Your rose is gorgeous, and thank you so much for the tutorial!

Stamping in Asia said...

What a beautiful rose and a great tutorial too!! Can't wait to do one like yours!!

A Consuming Passion said...

Goodness just found this ......... I have to try one!!!
Pear punches hmmm wonder if I can find them here.... Your card is gorgeous love the rose really love it!

craftieodmae said...

What a fantastic rose, thanks for sharing!!!!

Theresa's Studio said...

Great tutorial! This rose is beautiful!!! TFS

Anonymous said...

Selma:

Your card and especially the rose is positively fantastic. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Spectacular! What a beauty! Thanks for always sharing your creations with us.

Jackie
Oregon

Carol L said...

This flower is beautiful and I'm bookmarking this awesome tutorial! I already learned to do the vellum flowers with your step-by-step instructions and linked your tutorial and once I get my hands on these punches, I'll be doing that again :) Thanks so much for all you do - your card is just STUNNING

Donna said...

This is simply amazing! Love your tutorial. I think I see new punches in my future so I can try this one! Beautiful results! Thanks for taking the time to develop the tutorial!

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

I run out of words to describe your creations. This is stunning!!!

Colleen said...

Selma,
This is just amazing one flower is more beautiful than the next. I'm just amazed at all the flowers you make and you do a wonderful job of sharing the how to's.

Anonymous said...

wonderful tutorial for making the flowers. Thanks

Peggy

Sharon said...

Selma, I'm in awe of your talent.I appreciate your tutorial because you make it look like something I could really do, with practice of course. Beautiful card.

Nancy said...

WOW! That rose is amazing! I have two sizes of those pear punches, but I've never had a flower come even close to looking like yours! Thanks for this great tutorial; maybe I'll give it try again.

Janice M said...

WOW!!! That rose is Gorgeous!! Awesome card Selma.

Clare Curcio said...

Wonderful tutorial on how to make a rose! I think your rosebud is perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails