Monday, March 21, 2011

Covered Box for Joan's Gardens Workshop

This is the box everyone created at Joan's Gardens Workshop.



Punches used for flowers on this box.  The first punch is the "Sakuras"; and the smaller flower is a "Blossom".  The stamens were created with the "Sky Flake" and "frilly snowflake". 

Doesn't this look like a fun project to complete at a workshop!   Joan wanted to use this  Cosmo Cricket Box and cover it with Graphic 45 design paper.    She asked me to help her design the embellishments.  We decided to use flower punches and show some of the techniques to create very realistic flowers.

 The flowers I decided to use on this box were "made up" but I think they are really pretty.    There are two different sizes, each with different stamens. The flowers were punched out of ivory card stock.  They were taught how to cut toward the center of each flower in order for it to shape better.  They then used tools from the Flower Tool Kit to soften the fibers in the card stock so they could shape them to look very realistic.  Rather than coloring with markers, we taught them how to use sponge daubers and apply different colors for a softer effect.  The colors sponged on the flowers were: Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress ink; dark brown dye based ink,  and ColorBox Rose Coral Chalk ink.  The colors were blended well until each flower matched the design paper.   After shaping the flower and stamens, they were glued together then attached over the Sizzix die cut leaves.  There is a piece of acetate over the opening in the front of the box. 

Joan has all the products in stock if you would like to create one of these boxes. 

Tomorrow I will be posting a gift tag to match this box for the Tag Challenge at Joan's Gardens.  Hope you will come back to see it.

8 comments:

The Other Patti Sue said...

So when are you going to have workshops at your house? I would come you know! This is beautiful and I love your "made up" flowers!

redwasher1 said...

Selma, again you have amazed me with your clever creations. Love the box and how you decorated it with the beautiful flowers!!

Chrissy said...

Beautiful Selma. I love those flowers they are gorgeous.The sponged colours are so soft and subtle, really beautiful.
Luv CHRISSYxx

A Consuming Passion said...

Oh I agree with Patti ...... I'm coming too Selma!!!
This is just over the top beautiful!!! I love dimensional projects and this is a beauty!!! Congratulations.

Evette K. said...

a lovely creation Selma...love flowers, especially learning to create them myself...you are indeed a creative lady...hugs

craftieodmae said...

You on a roll again, this is mind blowing gorgeous!

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Joan must have had a great workshop. This is another beautiful piece and I am partial to that paper since I have it too. Yours flowers absolutely always just blow me away.

Donna said...

What a fun project, Selma! I'm sure those at the workshop had a wonderful time making this. Love those punches!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails