Saturday, January 22, 2011

Vellum Lillies


Today was a happy day for me; I received a big box of new products from Joan's Gardens.  In that box are some of the new JustRite stamps Joan now has in stock.  I LOVE these new sets: "Mother Nature's Gifts" and "You're So Sweet".  Aren't they beautiful.  I had no idea what I was going to do when I started creating this card.  I thought the flowers, from "Mother Nature's Gifts",  would be beautiful white embossed on vellum paper and they are.  I decided to try something new -- well any way something I have never seen or done before.  I normally use markers to color on the back of vellum.  I wanted my flowers to be dainty so decided to try watercoloring on the back.  I used a pink reinker and a water brush to color on the back.  To my surprise, it curled the petals of the flowers and I was so excited the dimension it gave to the flowers.  The petals were all curling under (toward the backside) and I wanted part of them to curl forward.  I used a clean water brush to apply water to the front and happily found out the vellum would curl up.  Have you ever tried water coloring on vellum?   I'm sure you will have fun with this technique.  Wonder if I invented a new technique???

The back layer on the card was embossed with the Cuttlebug Dotted Swiss embossing folder.  The pink square was created with the Martha Stewart "Loops Heart" border punches.  Another piece of pink card stock was cut that would fit inside the one with the punched border and I scored 1/4" lines, using the new ScorPal,  going two directions to give the background texture. 

The beautiful greeting and border are from the "You're So Sweet" JustRite set.  It is so perfect for this card.  It was white embossed and cut out with a petite circle Nestability.  The center was sponged with some pink ink to help bring out the white embossing.  Doesn't it go beautiful with those vellum flowers - so dainty.  The flowers were arranged down in the corner and the greeting tucked in.  I had a piece of  a pink pearl flourish in my drawer and decided to add it.  I better tell you about the leaves.  They were white embossed with a stamp I have had for a long time and a marker used to color them on the back.  A pink bow and a single pearl were added to complete the card.  

What do you think about these new JustRite stamps.  You can order them now from Joan's Gardens. I know you will love them.  While you are ordering them, be sure to see all the other new JustRite stamps shown on Joan's blog.  

Thanks for coming by to visit.  Have a great weekend.  


29 comments:

Chrissy said...

Oh! Selma ..how dainty and pretty this card is. Love your flowers very much.
Luv CHRISSYxx

Betty Benton said...

STUNNING! Love the delicate colors and the vellum flowers -- happy accidents are always welcome! Have fun playing with all your new goodies -- wish I could join you!

Brenda said...

Selma this is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the colors and the vellum flowers are so soft and pretty!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I LOVE those vellum flowers -- beautiful!

April said...

Beautiful card! I love the vellum lilies!

CraftinGranny said...

I'm totally in awe of this gorgeous card Selma. It's so dainty, feminine. and beautifully designed. What stamp did you use for the flowers? I'm assuming you stamped, embossed, and then cut them out before coloring? Brain not working real well lately..LOL
"Hugs" Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Selma,

I just wanted to let you know that I loved your card that you uploaded to SCS today. It is truly stunning. The soft colors and your new technique of using re-inkers and a water pen was so appealing. I will be trying it soon, hopefully I will have a stamp that is as pretty as yours. I don't normally comment on SCS so I wanted to send you a personal email just to let you know that your cards are hands-down, in my humble opinion some of the best that I have seen on SCS... I just wish that more people would tell you that. At the time of this email you only had five comments, I'm crossing my fingers that you will get far more.

I perused most of your blog and have signed up for future updates.

Happy stamping.
Val

Mary G. said...

This is absolutely STUNNING! Those vellum flowers just jump off the card!! Beautifully done! Each card you make is more beautiful than the one before it!! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us!!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Those vellum lillies are amazing! Gorgeous card!

Barbara Jay said...

Beautiful lillies!! I do parchment craft and water coloring on vellum is how we color or paint. Another medium we use is artist ink with water. Vellum is so beautiful to work with. TFS

craftieodmae said...

Jaw dropping gorgeous! So elegant!

loftylass said...

Stunning Selma - must give it a try. Gorgeous lillies.
Hugs
HW
x

Glenda said...

Girl....you are totally "Strutin Your Stuff"!! This is absolutely gorgeous! When I look at your creations I understand why you work with Joan! I have worked some with Vellum but have never tried to watercolor. This is something that I must try!

Auntie Em said...

Your card is so beautiful!
Love the watercolouring on the vellum. I always just chalked to give it colour!
Thanks for sharing! :o)

Joan Fricker said...

Oh Selma, what a great way to start my morning. I just opened your email to see this fabulous card. It is gorgeous. I just love the new technique you discovered and I love the vellum flowers. I certainly will be trying this. I love all the new Justrite Stamps too and can't wait to have time to play with them.

Thanks for sharing your new found look.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Winnie and Patty said...

Oh my Selma--this pink floral card is amazing. The details that you are able to achieve is wonderous. This card is so beautiful! It's one of my favorites that you've ever done! And thanks for the new technique of watercoloring on vellum. I'm gonna have to try it. TFS

The Other Patti Sue said...

I'm telling you GF you should have been a florist! This is so amazing! Love the lilies ( my favorite flower)! Non of mine are that beautiful and delicate!

Colleen said...

Selma,
I read most of the comments you received and they are all right. You are an inspiration. I love to see your work everyday. I will have to try this water color on vellum. I'm sure it will come up in one of Joans challenges soon :)

Anonymous said...

Selma, Selma, Selma, you just keep out doing yourself each day. This is just exquisite; absolutely beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

Jackie

Bev J. said...

Beautiful!! Like CraftinGranny I too wondered if you stamped, embossed, cut then painted. I would like to try this-love the look.

Donna said...

Stunning card, Selma! Love the embossed flowers. Your attention to detail is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is your card turned out beautiful!!! love Joyce

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the punched heart border. The flowers are just beautiful the way you did them. I would never have thought to watercolor on the vellum....I just use colored vellum :) Awesome card!

Judy I, St. Louis MO said...

What a stunning card. So delicate feminine. You have inspired me to try working with vellum.

Anonymous said...

Selma, I am did not get a chance to read all of how you made this card before I went to church but I was soooooooooo impressed with the flowers that I had to go back and read how you did it... I have never tried to emboss on vellem let alone know that you colored your vellem with markers, shoot I was looking all over for colored vellem!! because I saw color on yours... isn't that cool when you learn something new and it truns out that great.. really proud of you girl.. have a blessed day.. hugs back at you.. Joyce

Anonymous said...

Selma,

It's ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Just beautiful!! I just love getting your cards etc in my e-mail!!

THANK YOU for sharing every detail and tool in making the card!! It means sooooooo much to many of us who DON'T know all the in's and out's of cardmaking and can't take all the "classes" that are offered! THANK YOU and bless you for being willing to share not only your God given talents and gifts with all of us. It shows that you are really interested in people!!!

You are a real gem! I can't say that enough!!

Have a great evening! Donna

Anonymous said...

Selma,
I just keep looking at this card. So perfect. We had a stamp convention in Mesquite, TX recently & Heartfelt Creations was where I spent all my money. I had to show them several of your cards, from recent emails. Your work is the best.

Carol

Rebecca said...

ohohoh Wow, There was a link to this card on a blog, I subscribe to. I have been wondering how you stamp on vellum. I am going to have to try this technique.

Renie Rogers said...

I have just spent the better part of the afternoon looking through your archives.I want to thank you for all your generous tips and tutorials on all your lovely work. You have a true gift, both in your creativity and in the open heart to share what you love. This is a rare and special combination. I will stop back often to see your new work as we share a love of flowers and froo-froo. Thanks again for a lovely afternoon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails