Friday, January 14, 2011

Shadow Box Tutorial


One of the cards I created this week for the Heartfelt Creations Blog was a shadow box.  That card is also shown on Joan's Garden's blog.   I have had lots of questions about that card, so decided to make a tutorial showing you how it was created.  The above card is slightly different but basically the same; this one has some additional tulips  added.

View looking inside the shadow box.

Heartfelt Creations Stamp Set used
HCPC 3361 Semper Augustus Tulips PreCut Set;
 HCD 709 Springtime Medley Die


Stamp tulip images and color. I used Copic markers.

      
This shadow box is 5x6 inches.  The box was formed using two pieces of white  card stock, each 6x6 inches.  Each side was scored at ½ inch to form the box.  I am using the new ScorPal that has more score lines on it.  This is one of my favorite stamping tools.

Using the largest Spellbinders “Lacy Circles” die,  cut an opening toward the top of the front section of the shadow box.


Emboss this front panel with the Cuttlebug Kassie's Brocade embossing folder.


The die cut lacy circle will be used on the inside of the shadow box. Stamp and color the pretty tulips on this circle.



This piece was embossed with the Cuttlebug Dotted Swiss embossing folder.

A piece of pink card stock was cut 5x6 inches and was also embossed with the Cuttlebug Dotted Swiss embossing folder. 

Attach the pink piece to the bottom of the shadow box. 

  The Martha Stewart “Monarch Butterfly Trim” punch was used for the butterfly border along the bottom of the shadow box. 

After measuring the length (width) need along the bottom of the card, attach the border to a piece of pink card stock and trim around the edges with scissors.

 The front panel  should be placed on top of the bottom panel (flatten it out) so you can place (match) the Lacy Circle perfectly to the bottom panel.

Attach the butterfly border to the bottom of the front panel.

Use ScorTape to attach the top and bottom pieces to form the shadow box.

Cut a piece of card stock the height of the shadow box but leave it wider.  Use a decorative punch on one of the short sides.  Using the same punch and a small scrap of card stock, punch the border again so you can use it to measure where the other side of the card stock should be cut off.  Once that side is cut off punch the border down the other side.  Place ScoreTape on the back of the shadow box and center it over this piece so your shadow box has a lacy border down each side.

I wanted to add some additional tulips in front of the trio.  They were attached with dimensional tape.  Since the white panel was embossed after stamping the tulips, the flowers have dots on them so three of the tulip flowers were cut out with matching dies and attached over the flowers on that back panel.  (You can see the added flowers in the completed card at the top of this post.) A gingham bow was added to complete the shadow box.

I hope this tutorial helps so you can create a shadow box.  Let me know if you have any questions.

15 comments:

CraftinGranny said...

Gorgeous creation Selma. I love the softness and feminity of this beautiful card. Wonderful choice of pastels. Fantastic tutorial! Thanks so very much! "Hugs" Carol

velta said...

Girl...I swear it does not get better than this...Selma you are a piece of work yourself!! This is just beautiful...like all of your creations...I am "dropping my jaw, again!!"

Deanna C said...

Oh My! That is the most gorgeous card!! I love your color choices and the decorative stools, etc. I was wondering if you could let us know exactly what Heart Punch you used to do the side borders. I have never seen that before and it makes a stunning Valentine accompniment. Thanks.

AUSTINSGRAMM said...

Beautiful card. Love the soft colors. And thank you for the tutorial. It will make it easy to follow and create your gorgeous card. I may put it in a shadow box glass frame.

thank you
hugs
bobbi

Karen W said...

Thank you for the tutorial, I just ordered this whole set, beautiful card!!!

Glenda said...

What a beautiful card and love the tutorial! You just keep em coming girl!

Dianna said...

Selma,

Oh my gosh this is such a pretty card. I love floral cards like you, and the tulips in this card are so beautifully colored.

Thanks for sharing another gorgeous creation by "Selma".

Dianna

The Other Patti Sue said...

I always love your shadow boxes and this is now exception! Gorgeous creation! Love your tutorial too!

Pat said...

I'm a new blogger-viewer and I always enjoy looking at your creations. What a creative mind you have.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! The flower cards just make me even more anxious for spring and my bulbs to come up!

Thanks for sharing.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Your card is BEAUTIFUL, as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wanted to THANK YOU for the wonderful tutorial on how to make this shadow box card. I LOVE it when you share how you do things!!!

Have a wonderful day! I'm thinking hard about ordering the set of heartfelt stamps and die you are using! You make such beautiful cards to inspire us to buy and use this set!

Donna

Colleen said...

Selma,
What a fantastic tutorial I love those tulips.

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Wonderful card, Selma! The colors are so pretty and love all the embosssing and punched pieces.

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, your tutorial was fantastic.
I think for next week's challenge it should be a shadow box card? What do you think? I have never made one so it would be a good push over the edge for me too. ha

I just love the design of this card and the lacey circle dies and heart border is perfect.

Great job my friend!

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Darlene said...

Absolutely gorgeous Selma! Thanks for all the details ... you make it look easy! LOVE the different textures on this creation and the soft color makes it just soooo sweet! LOVE IT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails