Sunday, February 26, 2012

Friends Make Everyday Special


As a rule I am trying to teach you new techniques and today I was in the mood to learning something new myself.  I have this book  called "A Compendium of Curiosities" by Tim Holtz.  I think you all know I love working with Tim Holtz products.  I am anxiously awaiting the new Distress Markers but until then, I started going through this book and found something neat I wanted to try.  It is on page 46 and is called Distress Stickles.  I did not know there is a big difference between regular Stickles and Distress Stickles, did you?   With Distress Stickles you add a "blob" over the surface then use your finger to create a thin layer over the area you want the glitter.  You can work with as many colors as you want.  What I love about this is that you can use your heat gun to dry the Distress Stickles.  You know you can't do that with regular Stickles.  I only have one color of Distress Stickles which is "Vintage Photo" but I plan to order a lot of other colors now that I understand how to use it.  I can especially see lots of different colored sparklie butterflies! 

In case you are wondering, I used the "Distress Stickles" on the butterflies. The Memory Box "Moonlight Butterfly" (98260) and "Kaleidoscope Butterfly" (998261) were perfect for this project.  I die cut the "Moonlight Butterfly" using white card stock then used the Tim Holtz Blending Tool and added "Mustard Seed" and "Spiced Marmalade" to it.  This is the solid butterfly on the bottom of the layered butterfly.  Next I added the "Vintage Photo" Distress Stickles and rubbed it in with my finger, then dried it with the heat gun.  What is really neat is that my colors were brighter than I wanted, so I used the blending tool and "Tea Dye" Distress Ink to tone it down.  I just rubbed the inked pad over the whole butterfly.  In the photo, the butterflies look a lot darker than in real life.  The pretty yellow and orange really show up well and the glittery Distress Stickles puts on a beautiful shine.  I then glued on the "Kaleidoscope Butterfly" which was die cut using black card stock.  

The pretty border along the left side of this card was created using the Marianne Design "Anji Edge"  I placed a piece of green card stock under the left side of the card and snipped off the Anji Edge from the piece of card stock and created a green border between the two pieces.  Before attaching the green card stock, I ran it through the Dotted Swiss embossing folder for texture.  

I love the stamped image.  It is the Penny Black "Flower Amongst Flowers" stamp.  This is a solid stamp, so I used markers to color right on the stamp, then misted it with a fine mist before stamping.  The colors blend together well plus you must moisten the stamp to be sure the ink is wet before stamping.  In the center of the flowers I added "Bronze" Stickles. The corner I used is one of the Marianne corners (LR0143).  The front of the card was shaded using the Blending Tool and "Tea  Dye" Distress Ink.  The sentiment is from the new JustRite "Your Special Day Medallion Labels" stamp set.  To finish the card, the butterflies were glued on.

 If you love to work with Tim Holtz Products, I know you will love having the "A Compendium of Curiosities" Instructional book by Tim Holtz.  It has step by step pictures and instructions for each product.  

438019

11 comments:

Mrs. Swandog said...

Selma, What a beautiful card! And yes I love distressed stickles..can't wait to see more distressed stickle cards from you!

Glenda said...

Gorgeous, I've never tried distress stickles. I might just need to try these!

Nan G said...

Beautiful card, Selma! Very different from you. Love distress stickles tho I don't use them as much as I could.

Unknown said...

wow this is beautiful
like evert thing on this card
thank for showing

Sheila - Ginger said...

Aah Selma such a beautiful card. Love the idea of the distress stickles....hmm maybe I'll have to invest in some of these!

Love Sheila xx

Sharon said...

I haven't bought any of the distressed stickles because I figured they were like the reg. stickles but should have known better with it being Tim. I love your card but then always do.

Joan Fricker said...

Beautiful Card Selma. That new stamp is really beautiful. I love the airy feeling it has. Great job with the new Stickles too.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

craftieodmae said...

oh Selma this is gorgeous!!!!!

The Other Patti Sue said...

Super pretty Selma!

Donna said...

Love this Selma! Such pretty colors and a wonderful layout! Thanks for sharing!

April said...

I haven't used my Distress Stickles in a long time, so I will need to get them out again soon! Your card is so lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails