Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Poppy Tutorial


Today I have been feeling nauseated from the problem with my back and didn't do any stamping, so I am posting a tutorial I prepared for the Paper and Pixels Magazine that was published August 15th.  If you missed the August edition of this magazine, here is the link.

One of my favorite things to do is create  flowers for embellishments for my cards, boxes, etc.  Once you have a few basic tools and work through the process, it is easy and you get hooked.  The tools I always have by my side are a “Flower Tool Kit”, a black shaping pad,  glue and punches.  Once you start collecting a few of the flower punches, you will be able to create a variety of flowers. Sometimes just changing the stamen will create a totally different look.  There are many ways to achieve the color(s) you want.  You can punch them from lightweight, colored card stock or use a variety of ways to color them when they have been punched out using white or ivory card stock.  For this tutorial, I am going to show you how to sponge on color.  I wanted to use this beautiful design paper from the Graphic 45 “The Magic of Oz Collection” paper pack.  I love poppies so decided to try and create one very similar to the poppies  in this design paper.  The tutorial below will show you all the products I used and step by step instructions.  All the supplies needed for creating flowers can be purchased from Joan’s Gardens.


Punches used for creating the poppy  include:  Large Ginko; Large Daisy; Medium Blossom; Medium Sun; Large Delicate Snowflake; Small Blossom, and a  1/8 circle Punch. I used the Medium Blossom for extra support on the bottom of the flower to help shape the petals, but this punched piece is not necessary.

Edit:  One of my followers just wrote to me and said the name of the first punch is a "Geranium" petal.  She is right - the Ginko leaf is not as full along the bottom edge.  I do believe either punch would create a pretty poppy.

This picture shows the number of pieces that need to be punched, plus it shows three leaves.  You can embellish your card any way you want but thought I would list the other dies  and punch used to complete this card    Cheery Lynn “Italian Flourish (DL103), Cheery Lynn Fanciful Flourish (B117), Cheery Lynn “Exotic Butterfly mini (DL112) and a medium “fern” punch.  All these products are available from Joan’s Gardens.  

In order to have well shaped flower petals, they need to be conditioned.  In the design paper I noticed lines on the petals so I started conditioning by scoring a few lines on the Ginko leaves.  I used my Scor-Buddy to do this.   Score lines from the stem end up to the outer edge where there is an indention –where you might see a crease in the petal.

In order to match the color in the design paper, I started with “white” card stock.  The stems are not needed on the petals so they have been cut off.  Sponge ink on to both the front and back of each petal.  I used ColorBox “Stucco” ink.  The color was intensified on the stem end of each petal for shading.

 
This is a picture of all the tools in the “Flower Tool Kit” I use to shape all my flowers.  I work on a black shaping mat.  This tool kit has one handle for 5 different stylus heads and 3 different piercing tools.  It also has a package of blades that fit in this handle.  The tweezers are self-closing.  The large white tool is used for breaking down all the fibers in the card stock of each punched piece.  This little box contains everything you need for creating (shaping) your flowers.

One your flower petals are colored, use the white tool from the Flower Tool Kit to soften fibers in each petal by going around in circles until it “cups” up, as shown in picture.

Next turn the petal over  (you are working on the back) and use largest ball in the handle to curl the edges to give them more shape.  You want to work just the outer edges so they slightly turn backward.



Now turn the petal back, face up, and use the same tool to press down next to stem end of petal to slightly create a little “pocket”.    You will notice the outer edges of the petals are now rolling back giving the petal a realistic look.  You can see the difference in the flat petals in the background compared to the shaped petal. 

Now you are going to use the large punched green “Daisy” to start shaping the poppy.  This is the bottom that holds all the petals.   Using the white shaping tool, go around in circles over it, to cup it.  This will help hold the petals of your flower up so the flower will have a nice shape.

You have seven petals ready for this flower.  Glue four of the petals to the large punched daisy, slightly overlapping as you go around.  You want to use a fairly fast drying glue such as “Crafter’s Pick”, “Art Glitter” Adhesive, or Tombo Mono Aqua liquid glue.  Add glue to the stem end of the poppy petal and place on the daisy about in the middle of the petals.  You are going to add another row so you need to save room in the middle for the additional petals. 

Add last three petals in center slightly overlapping each one.  Your finished poppy will look similar to this.  Next you will work on the stamen.

Looking at the stamen in the design paper, I decided the punched pieces shown above would come close to duplicating it.  The green and black sun rays were all cut down through the center of each ray toward the center.  This helps to “fray” out the edges.  Shape each punched piece so they resemble those in the picture.    Each piece needs to be “cupped” by first using the white tool then using the other tool pressing down right in the center of each on the black foam mat.  Layer all these pieces starting with green piece on left, glue in black “Delicate Snowflake”, then inside that the black sun, and finally the yellow center.

Here is a closeup showing  how to cut both the green and black punched suns so they will fray out a little after shaping.  On the right you can see how I came up with the pod for the very center of the poppy stamen.  The small yellow blossom was used.  A thin line was drawn between each petal and a small black punched circle was added right in the center.  After the black center is dry, shape both pieces as shown above.  You will be shaping the yellow “pod” on the back side so you have a nice domed shape for the enter of the stamen.  To add the “pod” to the center of the stamen, add a pool of glue right in the enter of the stamen then shape the pod down in the glue.  You can adjust and shape this pod by using a tooth pick to move it around.

Glue stamen into center of flower.

Another view of the finished card. Now it is time to create your card.

Did you see this article in the Paper and Pixels magazine?


301421

12 comments:

Unknown said...

very pretty card and do like your flowers
do not have all of these punch that you use for your flowers
but very gald to see how you do them
thank you for showing
and hope that your back get better
take care
have a good day

Angelica Turner said...

Selma, absolutely gorgeous card and your tutorial is fantastic.

Glenda said...

As always another lovely card. I'm sorry you are still having problems. Seems like back problems hand on so long and any little thing can flare it again. I've suffered for years and know the pain well.

Mrs. Swandog said...

wow! what an amazing card Selma. I just love your flower! I hope you are feeling better soon....

craftieodmae said...

gorgeous, you amaze me, and you are my hero!!!! I have learned so much from you, thanks my friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh Selma - you are so special! I am a fairly new stamper but your work stands out at the top for me. How many years did it take for you to learn so much? I am 85 and haven't got alot of time left!!!

Judy Inukai said...

Selma, thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Your poppies are amazing. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Kathy and Lucky said...

Your flowers are so beautiful and maybe my next goal for 2012 :) This is a great tutorial and I may just have to check into those punches. Hope you feel better.

Lynne said...

Selma: this is the best tutorial on the use of the Flower tool kit and explaining what is it it and how to use it. Have been looking at purchasing it for a long time and now I will. Your flowers are beautiful and I hope I can do them too. Be well.

Frann said...

Selma, I followed your tutorial and made a poppy. I'm a little confused. You said to use the ginko leaf but I think you showed the geranium leaf. Also, I couldn't find any mention of where to use the larger blossom punch. My flower still came out looking a lot like yours. I love your posts. They are very motivating.

falguni said...

woooowww beautiful flower and thanx for sharing tutorials :-)and iam expecting more and more tutorials from u :-)

archranjaniv said...

Dear Salma ,I have NO words to express the Joy it gives me to browse your exquisite cards ,specially the tutorials on flowers !! I am retd.architect 75 female from Hyderabad ,India . I love to make cards for my friends/family on various occasions.
of course on limited budget !!
I don't have die-cut machine /stamping items ,but have few Martha stewarts all around punches ,few Jef/punch bunch ...and so my cards are mostly with flowers on them !!
I love to observe and learn from crafters using die-cuts flower,and learn to do the same with whatever I have !!
Thanks I found your cards and will try to learn from you !!
God Bless you and your talent and your generous heart to share your creation with us all !!
Ranjani
Hyd,India

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails