Thursday, March 24, 2011

Joan's Weekly Challenge #11



This is a card created for the new Weekly Challenge at  Joan's Gardens. Here is what you need to do for this week's fun challenge:
  • Use the colors Peach and blue (teal)
  • Use some Butterflies
  • Add something Frilly
My card is 5.5" square card.  The background was embossed with the Cuttlebug "Victoria" embossing folder.  The bottom was punched with the Martha Stewart "Flower Bed" border punch and layered over a piece of blue card stock.  A piece of ivory trim was placed along the cut edge.  The base card is ivory.

Isn't that a huge blue flower!!!   I decided to make up my own flower.  I used the Mega Elongated Leaves punch to create this big flower.  I love to use the card stock from Joan's Gardens; it is the perfect weight for shaping the flowers. The Flower Tool Kit was used to shape each petal.  I really like out the stamens turned out.  I used the Martha Stewart Cosmo punch and punched out one blue flower and cut each petal in little narrow strips down to the center of the flower.  The coral center is three large punched suns that were cut and shaped into a stamen.  The coral stamens were placed inside the blue ones.  To give it a different look, I used Stickles right on the end of the points of the coral stamens.  I think it looks "cool". I hope you can see that in the closeup picture.

A coral Nestabilities lotus pendant was die cut to place under the flower.   Ivory Mega Ferns were punched for leaves.  The sentiment is from the JustRite "You Inspire Me" stamp set. Three coral Martha Stewart Sticker Butterflies were added to complete the card.

I hope you will join Joan's challenge this week.  You will have until next Thursday (March 31) morning 6:00 AM EST to link your card/project. A winner for the prize will be chosen from a random drawing and will be announced Friday morning (April 1). You can enter more than once.

A winner will be chosen from the Random Drawing for week #11 challenge will receive a small Blossom Punch. They will also be entered in the end of the year $100 gift certificate drawing.  I am sure this is a prize you would love to win! 
You won't want to miss seeing Joan's beautiful card this week.  She used one of the new doily dies she now carries.  You can see it here.

9 comments:

Chrissy said...

Beautiful again Selma.Gorgeous flower,wow! it's amazing.Gorgeous card.
Luv CHRISSYxx

velta said...

Oh my Selma ~ It doesn't get any better than this one...your creations, each and every one, are just amazingly gorgeous...what a talent Joan has in you!!! I told her that last week when I ordered from her...oh and again when I ordered this week...LOL...you are one gifted lady and I love the inspriation you send out! TFS :)

craftieodmae said...

this is so beautiful!!!! Can't wait to play!!! Gotta have my coffee first lol, hugs and have a great day!

Glenda said...

Just one more in a long string of beauties! Lovin that big ole flower! Gorgeous!

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, wow this card is so beautiful. What a great idea putting some stickles on the ends of the stamen flowers. I love the addition of the white leaves under the flower too. Great job!

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Diane said...

Gorgeous as alwayslove how y ou add the white branches as it always sets if off so nice...something I am going to have to try!

Darlene said...

Oh Selma this is gorgeous! Yes, that is one HUGE BLUE flower but it's beautiful! I agree with Joan ... the white leaves really caught me eye and I thought it was a fabulous idea! As always, thanks for your inspiration! Another beautiful work of art!

Cindy said...

Very pretty card (as always). I love your handmade flower and embossed background. I think I may join in this challenge, teal and peach are my favs!

Cindy
http://paperoasis.blogspot.com

The Other Patti Sue said...

Good Morning Selma, this is absolutely beautiful! I love the big flower!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails