Monday, January 31, 2011

Punched Flower Tutorial

This is a card I created with flower punches.  I thought I would give you a little tutorial on how I create these flowers because they are so much fun to make.   All the supplies used for this card can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.   The design paper is from my "stash".  The flowers are attached to a Nestability Labels Ten die cut.  The greeting is from the new JustRite "Fancy Tags" stamp set.  A few lavender "Dew Drops" were added to complete the card. 

Closeup of flowers

The flowers are easy to create with the instructions from the "Paper Bouquet" book.  It shows step by instructions.  This book has complete instructions on how to make 40 different flowers.  You can purchase any of the many punches listed from Joan's Gardens.

Here is a picture of the power punch available from Joan's Gardens.  It makes it really easy to use any punch.  Of course you don't need to use this tool, but it makes punching so much easier.   

The flower I created is the "Petunia" and this shows the punched out petals using the "Super Giant Begonia Petal" Punch.  You can make so many flowers with this one punch, including large and small sizes.  I only needed the largest petal for this flower, but save all the other petals for other types of flowers I will be making later.  Some of the other flowers you can make with this punch are:  Begonia, Carnation, Gardenia, Rose, and Pansy.

With the Flower Tool Kit, you can easily shape each petal for a very realistic flower.  You can see the flat petal in the lower right side.  What a difference when you shape the flowers.

This shows one of the tools, from the kit,  for shaping the petals.  You just roll it around on the petal and it "cups" it into a pretty petal shape.  You use the tweezers to do further shaping.  All the details are in the Flower Book.

Here are the two punches I used for these flowers.

Another picture to show the Flower Tool Kit, the two punches used, the two pieces used to create the flowers and the finished flower.  Isn't it amazing you can take a piece of paper and turn it into a beautiful flower that is so realistic.  I just love it.

Joan and I will be creating lots of different flowers from this book.  I have been putting my flowers on cards, but can you imagine all the beautiful boxes you can create with these flowers.  Remember the pine cones I created at Christmas time -- those are in this book too. 

Did this tutorial help explain how easy it is to create these dimensional flowers?  I hope it did.  I no longer purchase flowers for my projects, because I can make my own in any style, size, or color.  Hope you will give it a try.

22 comments:

craftieodmae said...

WOW! You always make things seem so easy, these are gorgeous!

The Other Patti Sue said...

Your flowers are always so pretty! I loved your tutorial.. very informative! I have the book now all I need is the time!

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, your tutorial and flowers are just fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing with us! You did a fantastic job!

Chrissy said...

What great tutorial Selma, well done to you.Your flowers are gorgeous and on a box....Wow ...yes that would be fabulous too.They look beautiful on your card. I'm nipping over to Joans now to have a sqizz.
Luv CHRISSYxx

Tkat said...

these are gorgeous!!! wow! makes for amazing cards!

CraftinGranny said...

Your flowers are always so beautiful. Great tutorial, now all I need are the book, the punches, and tool kit.....LOL You are such an enabler. Hope Joan has everything in stock cause I'm goin shopping! "Hugs" Carol

A Consuming Passion said...

Oh wonderful Selma.....Love your flowers!
So pretty with the shaped petals and the added pen work!
TFS

Nancy Jensen said...

Selma, this tutorial came at just the right time - I just ordered the tool kit, mat, book and the exact same punch! Thank you for this tutorial... I can't wait to get my order and get started!

One question... did you use regular cardstock or did you use a lighter weight paper?

I absolutely love these flowers and the card. I will be looking to see what other beautiful projects both you and Joan make

Glenda said...

Selma, thanks for the tutorial! I've been using things I have here to shape. I'm going to have to rethink the tool kit. These flowers are so pretty! Well done!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Wowzer, Selma, this is just amazing! I must find a punch like this one! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Theresa's Studio said...

Beautiful flowers....you make it sound so easy. Thanks for the tute.

Colleen said...

Selma,
These are amazing as always. love the instructions and great step by step pictures. Thanks

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Those flowers just took my breath away when I clicked on your blog. They are just gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial to go with your post.

Bev J. said...

Your flowers are so gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial.

Patty said...

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all your flowers! I ordered all the stuff from Joan to get started on them, and this tutorial really helps. Thanks for your inspiration and your great tutorial. Love it!!

Darlene said...

WOW ... LOVE these petunias ... so real looking! you always do such a beautiful job on flower ... of all kinds! And your tutorial is wonderful ... thanks for the easy to follow steps.

Sherry Kushibab said...

Thanks for sharing on how you do the flowers...it was a beautiful card and your instructions make it look easy.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Shari

Anonymous said...

Just spectacular! I love those flowers! I just have to get that punch that is all there is too it.
Jackie

Donna said...

These are so pretty! Love your flowers. I really need to try these. Guess I need to get some of these punches. Thanks for the tutorial.

Payne Holler Cards said...

spectacular! I use all kinds of odds n ends to shape my flowers - maybe should invest in this kit..and the book,,, ok and the punches!!! oh im weakening on my resolve to not purchase anything until I sell some stuff....come on Ebay!!
but these are truly wonderful!!

Payne Holler Cards said...

spectacular! I use all kinds of odds n ends to shape my flowers - maybe should invest in this kit..and the book,,, ok and the punches!!! oh im weakening on my resolve to not purchase anything until I sell some stuff....come on Ebay!!
but these are truly wonderful!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails