Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Explosion Box

This is the Explosion Box when lid is on

This is a close up of the lid.  The lid holds the box together.


When you take the lid off, the sides "explode" out and lay flat.

This week on Joan's Gardens Challenge #3, she is asking us to make a box.  The box is to include flowers, a flourish, and a butterfly.  I decided to make a style of box I have not made before.  The box is made out of a sheet of 12x12 inch card stock.   I am not going to go into a lot of detail at this time.  I am sure everyone will want a tutorial and will do that later.

Nestabilities dies were used for the three layers on each square for all the sides (inside and out) and for the lid.  Nesties sure made it easy.  The white card stock was embossed with a Cuttlebug embossing folder.  To decorate the box I decided to make vellum flowers.  I made twelve small vellum flowers.  For the larger flowers on the lid and the center of the inside, I used the Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers die.  For Christmas I received one of the new Ranger "Vegabond" die cutting machines.  Gosh do I love it!   I cut long strips of vellum and folded the strips the width of the flowers I wanted to use (I used the two smallest flowers).  I think I cut 5 or 6  of each at one time.  They went right through the Vegabond with no trouble.  The machine is electric so is so easy to use.  I used a Cuttlebug die to cut the large leaves (also on the Vegabond).  They were all cut at one time too. The flourish was cut using the Tim Holtz Flourish die and the branches, as you know, are punched with a Martha Stewart punch.  All the flowers were made as I explained on my vellum flower tutorial here, then everything arranged and attached to the box.  

The greeting, on the inside, is part of a Heartfelt Creations Inspire Me Sentiments stamp.  I only wanted the word "Love"  from the sentiment  It was cut out with a Nestie heart die, sponged with pink ink, and each scallop pierced before attaching with a dimensional.  Two bows were made - one for the inside and one for the lid. 

On the outside of the box, a Martha Stewart punched heart was added to all four sides.  A Martha Stewart punched border was added around the lid.  The last thing added was a Martha Stewart "Monarch" butterfly.

I didn't have any written instructions for creating this box so I must admit, it took me a good part of my day to create it.  I am very please with the way it turned out.  I am sure the next one will go together much quicker. 

I want to let you know that Joan has all the supplies for making the vellum flowers in stock - the small Martha Stewart punches, the Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers die, and the colored vellum.

I hope you will join us in the challenge at Joan's Gardens.  Please go to her blog to read all the details about the challenge.


26 comments:

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Totally Wonderful Design I love your colors and the whole beautiful creation!!!You have a great talent with making beautiful projectsl. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lana said...

WOW absolutely awesome Selma!!I love the flowers & colors and using them in the explosion box is a fabulous idea!!

Chrissy said...

Stunning Selma, the colours are just gorgeous, as are your vellum flowers.A really beautiful idea,
Luv CHRISSYxx

craftieodmae said...

I'm speechless, that don't happen often, Selma I know this is the prettiest hand made box I have ever seen, it's breath taking! I also love the flowers!

Glenda said...

Well now, Miss Priss! I just love this and aren't you just "strutin your stuff". What a wonderful idea and each panel is truly a work of art! Just lovely!

Mary G. said...

Oh, my goodness, Selma...this is GORGEOUS! The pink is so pretty with the white...love it!

Carla S. said...

Gorgeous box, Selma! I love the embossing and the beautiful vellum flowers!

Tracy said...

Absolutely stunning! Those flowers are just breath taking. Thanks so much for sharing this lovely project with us. Looking forward to the tutorial. :-)

The Other Patti Sue said...

OK that's it... we have to meet so some of you talent can rub off on me! I'm sure I only have to be in the same room with you, maybe just be in Hobby Lobby at the same time... LOL! This is GORGEOUS! I'm as speechless as Olga,as she said that doesn't happen often! Simply amazing!

Donna said...

Amazing, Selma! I love your style. The flowers are gorgeous. I have to go back and try out your tutorial. The pink really makes it pop!

Anonymous said...

Girl, you never cease to AMAZE me!!! NO WORDS (can't find enough adjectives) on this one!!!!!!

Have a beautiful day!!!!

Donna

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Colleen said...

Selma,
Beautiful! Love all the details.

Gladys R. said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Love the
Pink and white colors, the
embossing, flowers...it's all
stunning.

ogilvie said...

Selma, This is just simply gorgeous. Hugz, Janice

Barbara Colbert said...

Absolutely terrific!!! Stunning box!!!! This is truly awe inspiring!!! Wonderful job!!!!!

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Such a BEAUTIFUL box! The soft pink with the white is just gorgeous with all the details you put into the project.

Linda W. said...

Just gorgeous Selma - that's all I can say! It takes my breath away for sure!!!

Andrea Ewen said...

Wow, Selma...this is gorgeous...and so my style! I simply adore flowers and this project is dripping with them! Super creative idea and lovely feminine touches!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Such a gorgeous creation!

Elizabeth S. said...

WOW!! totally gorgeous!

Marisa said...

Totally gorgeous!!

Ravengirl said...

This is very beautiful! I can tell that you put much effort and time into it! It shows!

Anonymous said...

Selma,
Oh my gosh - that box is positively out of this world and beyond fantastic.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Selma, you have made some very beautiful cards, but this is absolutely stunning!

Thank you for sharing it with us.


Lori

judycorell said...

I was so excited over the box, I have made three of them. Now I would like to make a christmas box. You are a very talented women.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails