Tuesday, June 22, 2010
This week is a fun challenge at JustRite Stamps. It is to make a bookmark for either a child or an adult and show your creativity with your JustRite stamps!
I have not made many bookmarks so wanted to participate in this challenge. I wanted something that is different so decided to make an acrylic bookmark. I started out by cutting my acrylic. I save the packaging from my JustRite stamps and Nestabilities to reuse for projects.
For the design that will be placed on the back of the acrylic, I used a Martha Stewart border punch to create a background. Two JustRite stamps sets were used: "Beautiful Blossoms" and "Stitched with Love". The challenge is to use a bookmark but also says to show your creativity with your JustRite Stamps. Well I decided to use stamps from two different sets that might not normally be used together. First I stamped the flowers and border from the Beautiful Blossoms set then cut around the frame with scissors. I colored the design with Copic markers.
I am always very anxious to see the ending of my book, especially if reading a mystery -- aren't you! Well I thought the border from the "Stitched with Love" set would be great on my bookmark -- "Don't Keep Me on Pins and Needles . . . Just Tell Me Everything!" I put the border from the "Stitched with Love" set on the wood block and used a black marker to color only the top portion of the words on that border. It was stamped on the top portion of the punched background. I then cleaned the stamp very well with a baby wipe and inked up the bottom portion of that border and stamped it at the bottom. The flower design was then attached in the middle. I really like how it turned out.
A piece of "Vellum Instant Adhesive" from Glue Arts was cut and attached to the back of the punched background. I really love this vellum instant adhesive! I cut it as wide as the acrylic bookmark. It holds the decorated piece in place on the acrylic and you can barely see the adhesive. The acrylic was folded over at the top of the completed design and creased with a bone folder. A punch was used to make a hole in the top for the ribbon. The punch wouldn't quite punch all the way through so I used a craft knife to finish cutting the hole. Two pieces of red ribbon was put through the punched hole and attached at the top of the acrylic with glue dots. A bow was made and attached.
Hope you like this creation. It was sure fun to figure out and now I have a new bookmark to use.
All the products I used for this project were purchased from Joan's Gardens.